Search This Blog

Thursday, December 29, 2011

Tiny Dancer.




Hold me closer tiny dancer
Count the headlights on the highway
Lay me down in sheets of linen
you had a busy day today.”

I am long past due in writing “Snap.Shot.;” for those who have been waiting for its return, I cannot imagine there are very many, thanks for waiting for the urge to write to return. I am not sure it is 100% there, I am testing the waters once more.

It’s been an up and down few months. Some of the time I was up higher than I could imagine, and at other times, I was just not wanting to write because I just didn’t feel like it. Selfish? Yes it was---but for me, it was necessary. I really do enjoy writing—but I needed the break because I was tired and bored.

This past year, starting on January 1, I took on an assignment to write about the community I live in---I felt it would allow me to learn more about the history of Glen Ellyn, IL and I did enjoy writing a blog. What I found was, it was harder than I imagined, and was a chore I really didn’t want to perform each day.

What “Snap.Shot.” was meant to be, and I would like it to continue to be, is a snippet of life with a photo that goes along with whatever I feel like writing on that particular day. That’s why I am writing about a dancer I saw in San Francisco this past weekend.

Our family spent the holidays in Northern California; we were in both the Bay Area as well as the mountains outside Lake Tahoe. Whereas there is usually a vast difference in the climate this time of year, this year was different. It was warm in San Francisco and when we went to the mountains, there was very little snow. I think the 50-degree weather during the day played a major role in the lack of snow. That didn’t mean there was not any snow, just not enough to attract the skiers who come to the region to ski at breakneck speeds. (Last year in this exact location there was more than 12 feet of snow---this year, there was less than 8 inches.)

I honestly didn’t miss it---I don’t ski, and it allowed for more family time; however, it also provided an opportunity to take completely different photos than I took last year. There will be some in upcoming “Snap.Shots.”---as a preview, I walked down by the Golden Gate bridge, saw surfers in the cold waters outside the Bay, and was within inches of skiers doing flips and jumps off a man-made ski jump. It was cool.

The photo above was taken at one of the beaches in San Francisco---frankly, I don’t remember which one. When we drove up, we saw 2 ballerinas being photographed. It was not just a beautiful scene---it was graceful, balanced, and one that no one would have believed had I not shot 3 pictures. They were not wanting anyone to take photos except the photographer who had been hired to for the job. I couldn’t help myself---for me, shooting the unexpected is what makes photography my passion, my love, my tiny dancer who when held in your hands, is as delicate as a ballerina dancing above.

Thanks for stopping by.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like Ocean Beach to me; I recognize the wall.

    Happy New Year!

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocean_Beach,_San_Francisco,_California

    ReplyDelete