Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.



"When I was ten years old
I remember thinking how cool it would be
When we were going on an eight-hour drive
If I could just watch TV
And I'd have given anything
To have my own Pac-Man game at home
I used to have to get a ride down to the arcade
Now I've got it on my phone."

It's fitting that on the very day Apple launched their new line of watches, the watch my father wore back in the 70s came back to life. In its day, this was not only futuristic, we were witnessing the Jetson's.

Whereas I can only guess, I believe around 40 years ago, my Dad let me where his then brand-new Pulsar watch to a youth-group dance. I remember being decked out in a 3-piece suit (can't forget that vest) and on my wrist was the coolest piece of jewelry of the day. Not only was I amazed by what it did, so were others.

Move forward four-plus decades and the Jetson's are truly here. You can now talk through a watch, check e-mail (what's e-mail?), and so much more—all housed between your hand and elbow. We had no idea what was ahead that night 40 years ago.

Recently, when I was exploring my Dad's house after his passing, I found a box that was branded, "Pulsar, The Time Computer." I couldn't believe it—I opened it slowly sure that it was empty. Sure enough, housed inside was the watch I cherished that evening so long ago. Along with the watch were the instructions, an additional piece to use in setting time, and a magnet that's imperative for up keep. I pushed the buttons and to no great surprise, it didn't work; it probably had not been worn in more than 35 years. My thoughts…I wonder if it still has any value? I checked E-Bay and sure enough there were others and were being bid on. Some worked, some didn't. 

With little confidence, I took the watch to this shop located in the adjacent building from where I work. It's not an actual shop but more of a "kiosk" where they replace batteries, bands, and anything else that has to do with a watch. When I showed it to them, their eyes lit up like it was Christmas, Chanukah and Kwanza. "Oh we have not seen one of these in so many years, is it working?" I said, "No and probably hasn't since the late 70s." Optimism faded instantly from all of our faces. 

Now mind you, this couple is seriously into watch repair. They let me know the batteries for this watch were no longer available and certainly it would be a mess inside. This turned out to be true. But, determination, pride, and real fixation with watch repair, they were determined to tackle this challenge.  After explaining to me what they did, and not understanding a word of what was explained, they begged me for a copy of the instruction book incase they ever needed to fix another. No problem.

Today watches are no longer as popular having been replaced by smart phones. Hopefully, with the new Apple watch, and others out there, the wrist will be back in vogue. 

The photo above was taken yesterday. With my old friend back, I stared in amazement as the red digital lights stayed lit for about 1 second and turned black creating a piece of unique looking jewelry. Knowing the watch I have been wearing, and the number of years I have worn it, it's great to have a memory back—it's so nice to go back to the future.

Thanks for stopping by.





No comments:

Post a Comment