Search This Blog

Friday, July 24, 2015

Small steps. Giant leaps.




"Reach out and touch
Somebodys hand
Make this world a better place
If you can
Reach out and touch
Somebodys hand
Make this world a better place
If you can."

It's not every day you can go to work, walk past the usual revolving door you enter, and head around the corner to a bus waiting to take you to a "land far away from your normal day." That was what happened to myself and more than 20 of my business friends/associates on Wednesday. I had no idea what to expect, yet it was so much more than I expected.

For the past 2 years, I have either been out of town, or unavailable to participate in our annual "Rebuilding Together"---a community-based program our company participates in each year. This year, no excuses---I was going. All I had heard about this day was, "This is not going to be your typical day, and you really will be working." Really? Like I don't do that every day at the office...come on---foul!!! I didn't realize what real work was until today, two days later, as I am doing my best not to bend in any unusual positions. I am that sore.

We arrived at Envision on the South side of Chicago around 9 AM--- breakfast was being served---doughnuts. I don't like doughnuts so this was going to be an interesting start to what would be a long day---luckily they had muffins, something even worse for my ever-expanding arteries. Still not sure what I was about to encounter, I sat there and listened to one of my counterparts bring the group to full laughter. This guy is seriously funny and he did not let us down. Then we received the "thank you speech" from the directors of the project and we were assigned stations. Three of us were assigned "mulching duty." How hard can that be? I have been working out after all. Let's do it!

OMG.

After what I assumed to be at least an hour at shoveling and transporting mulch,  I looked at my watch and was sure it was broken. It was informing me, "Dude, you have been doing this 12 minutes, come on you need to get to work." I was already sweating and I could feel my "under-developed muscles" aching in my lower back. I was not alone in feeling pain, as I walked by a "former picnic table" which was now a pile of wood; two of my counterparts were painting (wearing long jeans) and you could tell, for them this was going to be just as long and much hotter. 

After an hour we started to see the fruits of our labor start to take hold; mulch started to cover barren spots, planters were being put back together, weaving was occurring in the building, and much more. Community members started to peak their heads out the door wondering what was going on...and many were so excited to help us. (We did have a small incident as one of the men got stung by a bee---it was not a pretty sight, but I assumed he was okay as he returned to shovel more mulch.)

Finally the word began to spread, lunch was being served. We dropped everything and move to the side of the building. Now I might not like doughnuts, but I do like pizza---and a patch of ground to sit. (Very hard to get up once the half-hour break was complete.) Again I looked at my "broken" watch---how could 30 minutes go by so fast...why can't the same happen when we are working? In the back of my mind I heard, "Shut up and get back to work." 

At last we finished, what had been many areas in need of serious repair had over a short period of time transformed into a thing of beauty. Inside, partitions were built to add privacy--- they looked like giant weaves---carpentry completed, tires painted bright colors for future use as planters and smiles on our faces.

The photo above was taken at the event; two of my counterparts, and one of the directors of the project, are putting the final touches on a privacy screen. A long day was in the process of ending, and together, as a team, we helped make a difference---whether large or small, we "reached out and touched and together did make this a better place." That's what it's all about.

Thanks for stopping by.




No comments:

Post a Comment