Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 17, 2015

The Bucket List.



"I went skydiving
I went rocky mountain climbing
I went two point seven seconds on a bull named Fu Man Chu
And I loved deeper
And I spoke sweeter
And I gave forgiveness I'd been denying."

Whether we realize it or not, we all have things we want to do. Some we admit, some we just dream of doing, but unless you have completely given up, it's not a bad idea to have a personal bucket list.

I must live under a rock, but until I heard of the movie titled, "The Bucket List," I had never heard of the term. (I have climbed out from under the rock.) 

There are many things on my bucket list, unfortunately I have not written them down. But when I hear of something I know I would like to do, I will think, "Got to put that on the bucket list!" For sure, many of mine are the same as others who like to dream; whether it's traveling, growing the ideal garden (not on my list), or taking pictures that are well above the norm, I know before I go to the camera store in the sky, I want accomplish more.

Of no great shock, one of my top wishes was to shoot a professional sport--and be a part of the action. I have photographed many sporting events, but being where the real professionals are shooting (like Sports Illustrated photographers) was something I could only dream about. 

Until...

A few months back, I was in a meeting at Edward Jones. They are a financial company based in St. Louis--they also have naming rights to the arena where the Rams play. I have known the person for a number of years and we started talking about the team, and whether or not they would remain in the city. I asked, "Do you think you could possibly help me get a ticket near the field? Of course I would pay for it." It was the best time to ask, I knew it was going to be a long shot, but what the heck.

He said, "Would you like to be on the field?" I was so surprised I said, "Just a good seat near the field will do." He then asked again, I said, "Well yeah!"

Move forward 5 months and I am on the field before the Rams V. Bears game. Not only did I feel out of place, I was nervous to even be down there. But I took a breath and thought, "this is really not that much different than other sporting events I have photographed, just a higher level." Actually, a much higher level. I decided I was not going to show my excitement and just do what I normally do when I am on the field. Walk around and schmooz. (I spoke with other photographers and people on the field.)

What did I have to lose? It's my bucket list.

The agreement with the Rams was I would not be able to shoot on the field during the game; but they found me a seat that was better than I could have dreamed of receiving.
It was in the corner and actually hung over the side of the field with a vantage point that was incredible. One seat. One row. One person. Me.

If you have something you want to do...do it! If you can't think of anything, think harder because I can now say, I am going to work on as many of the "what I want to do's" as possible. One thing, I want to go with my wife to Paris; I know it's been in the news in a tragic manner, but it's a city I dream of seeing once again.

The photo above was taken from my seat at the game. When I saw the receiver heading over to the corner, I took what I had learned from shooting high school football (for real) and watched the play unravel right in front of my eyes. Just like that, my bucket list filled up with a memory I will never forget.

Thanks for stopping by.



No comments:

Post a Comment