Search This Blog

Sunday, December 27, 2015

For the birds.



"I'll spread my wings, and I'll learn how to fly
I'll do what it takes till I touch the sky
And I'll make a wish
Take a chance
Make a change
And breakaway."

I can not say for sure, but I would assume most of us have wondered what it would feel like to fly? I know I would. 

Sure, I have been on countless airplanes, a hot air balloon, and a helicopter, but the thought of it being just me above the ground...well, we all know, if we were meant to be air born, we would have wings. As far as I know, we don't.

A number of years ago, I read Jonathan Livingston Seagull by Richard Bach. Yes, it was many years ago, but it left a huge impression on me about life and the desire to be different. It was so long ago I don't remember all of the details, but in reading Mr. Bach's other books, I learned about freedom, love, and being someone you didn't expect yourself to be. (I think it all came to be when I rode an open cockpit stunt plane over the Pacific Ocean; I was terrified but felt free as I knew it was completely out of my own control.) Yes, that's probably as deep as I can go for those who are wondering.

When I was a boy, like many other boys, I wanted to be a pilot; this was before I wanted to be an ichthyologist--or commonly know in the tropical circles---a fish doctor. Spoiler alert---My Dad put the end to that once he heard what they made for a living. Or in this case, didn't make for a living. But flying to me was cool; when I was very young, my parents took our entire family on a plane down to Florida for vacation and the experience really stuck. Since I am not that strong in math, and I really would not have done well with all of the details of handling a plane, it's probably a pretty good thing I am in advertising.

But we all have our dreams. Some are very real and some just dreams. I am pretty good at option number two, but have also been fortunate to fulfill a few of the first ones. 

Recently, I went to COSTCO with one of my daughters. She had been begging us to let her go to iFLY---a simulated skydiving company. It may be simulated, but when you go there and watch, it's pretty darn real! So, as I was checking out, I had my daughter go and purchase a hot dog and drink ($1.50 how can you beat it?) and I purchased 3 vouchers for iFLY without her knowing. She knew the moment I bought them as she watched me from afar. She kept asking and finally I said, "I am not telling." 

The photo above is of one of our three daughters in flight. All three did it, Susan and I sat out. Even though I was not in the air, for some reason I had more motion sickness than anyone in our family. Susan thought it was because of the photos and how I was moving to catch the girls in action. Whatever it was, it confirmed for me--I was not meant to fly!

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment