Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Why Me?


I am reasonably sure we have all said the above at one time or another in our lives. It might be some great news where you were shocked into muttering these two words. Or, there is always the flip side where you struggle to understand why something has happened or is happening. For some reason, there is always a reason.

Looking back over the past few years I have pondered this thought. Many times from both sides. Having been unemployed, losing my mother, or having a daughter go through what we thought at the time was a near death experience, will cause you to question. For me it sure did.

Then there is the flip side. Why have I been so fortunate to see my children grow, spend quality time with the ones I love, and develop a business around a passion. In other words, “Why Me?” Too deep? 

You bet it is.

Fate is a funny thing. Just when you think you have reached your highest high or lowest low, something can turn your world upside down or right side up. It happens, and when it does, there we go thinking, “Why Me?”

In the past few months I have been working on a plan to shoot more football photography in the fall. I certainly have shot a lot in the past, but I want to take it to a much higher level. In late January a friend of mine probably did the biggest favor I could have asked for regarding photography. Greg is on our local football team committee and he asked during a meeting, “Why do we use a photographer from outside the area?” The response he received was, “Do you know someone who we should be talking to?” He simply said, “I sure do.”

The rest is history.

It is likely that this fall I will be shooting more than 200,000 photos. A ridiculous amount until I sit back and think, “Why Me?” Because I love to shoot pictures.

Life has it challenges and it has its rewards; when I was at a recent event at House of Blues here in Chicago (yes I was there to photograph) I was asked if I would be interested in shooting an event for the City Of Hope. Without their having ever seen one of my photographs, I said, “You bet I will.”  Why Me? 

Because no matter how upside my world can be I am fortunate for what cards have been dealt to me.

The photo above was taken at Millennium Park in Chicago; photographed probably a million times by a million photogrpahers, this image appeared and I knew I had to take it. I stepped back, focused the camera, and started snapping. Why did I stop? There is a hole in the middle of the tower and it sprays water; on this 40-degree miserable day, I got soaked. All I could say as I walked away with very wet pants was, “Why Me?”

Thanks for stopping by.







No comments:

Post a Comment