Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

What will your camera capture?




There's an old Kodak camera in my dresser drawer
I ran across it just this afternoon
And I realized that I don't ever use it anymore
In fact last time I did I think it was with you.”

--Brad Paisley

There is something to be said about the camera; for many it’s something they carry around inside their phone or pocket---for me, it’s anything but that---mine is heavy, bulky, and my best “non-human” friend. (Depending on the day.)

When I was young, I had an Instamatic camera. It was made by Kodak and you simply popped film inside, twisted the wheel a few times, and took pictures of whatever you felt needed to be taken. Sometimes it was an exit sign, a pitcher of water, or my favorite---a person taking a picture of another person. How creative. What’s funny is, I still see these photos when I down load pictures from when my younger kids grab their cameras. However, it’s different with my older daughters---they are really gifted photographers carrying with them some pretty sophisticated equipment.

But the picture is changing. It appears that Kodak is experiencing some very rough times; nothing that should surprise anyone, but when you think back, it was not long ago where film was king, and Kodak was bigger than big. They missed a very important boat when it left the harbor. I am sorry to say.

Recently I found a memory card that for some reason had not been downloaded. Just like that roll of film that had gathered dust, having not been taken in to get processed, what it held inside were memories of another day. It’s kind of amazing when you uncover a gem like that---all those memories in a card that is no larger than a stamp. I had no idea what I was missing---and then they were right there in front of me on my computer.

The photo above was taken at a recent event I attended. It’s one of the new running options---it’s called a “Mud Run.” New to me, I must be living under a rock because every time I bring it up to someone has either run in one, or is planning to. Provided they run of course—otherwise it’s a spectator sport. You will be seeing more photos from the mud run in “Snap. Shot.” As I said to the race organizer, these will be some of the “dirtiest” pictures I will ever take.

Thanks for stopping by.





No comments:

Post a Comment