Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Against the odds.




And it's run for the roses
As fast as you can
Your fate is delivered
Your moment's at hand
It's the chance of a lifetime
In a lifetime of chance.”

I really do not enjoy going to the horse races for the same reason most others do. I have written about this and even though I have gone 4 times in the last one and a half weeks, I can say I have walked away a winner each time. Well, that is, I haven’t lost any money. It’s probably because the last 3 times I have not actually stepped inside the gates where everyone else watches the races---I have been standing near the turn outside the fence to get a different perspective and angle. Odd? It’s me.

Every time I shoot, I hope I have gotten the shot. The one that will end up on my wall or at least one I will be so proud of I will want to do something with it. I have yet to have the feeling---maybe the next time I go. I think part of my disappointment stems from not knowing the names of the horses or whether or not they run well, won the race, or are just an old nag that is thrown in to give another one competition. This is not the Kentucky Derby—I need to keep that in mind.

Hard to believe I come from a family that enjoyed going to the track. My Mom’s parents spent time and money at the track near Collinsville, IL. I don’t remember a lot about going when I went as a kid---but I do remember there were some less than desirables holding on to the ticket they believed could change their life. It’s changed over the years, at least the track we go to, because if it didn’t no one would be there. There are too many options to lose your hard-earned money just down the road.

This past weekend, as I was getting psyched up to watch the horses run, I watched the videos on YouTube of Secretariat and his Triple Crown win; I watched the Derby, Preakness and Belmont Stakes. Big mistake if I thought I would be capturing anything close to that.
When I was shooting I was trying to imagine how I would have photographed a race of such magnitude that is part of the Triple Crown. Although it was over 101 degrees outside this past week, I found myself perspiring with anxiousness and fear thinking about it---in addition to what had already started the moment I walked up to the track. What would happen if I got the shot? What would happen if I missed the shot? I don’t know if I will ever have the opportunity, but if so I figure I have some practice.

One thing I do when I shoot is to make sure (or suspect)) I have the best angle possible---knowing myself, I knew I would have self doubt up until the race was in full swing. Then it’s either hit or miss---I know both.

The photo above was taken on Friday; I probably took this photo, without horses, from 20 different angles prior to the actual race. I was not sure if I would capture what I wanted and you only have a few seconds, at best, to get it right. Miss it, and they just run by and it’s off to the next race nearly 30 “hot/sweaty ” minutes later. I didn’t feel this was  the winner, but considering how I felt like  I was going to pass out, it felt like a “place or show” for sure.

Thanks for stopping by.


No comments:

Post a Comment