Search This Blog

Saturday, July 14, 2012

The wink.




“In this complicated world it may sound absurd,
But simple little things are the miracle cures,
Pushed to the limit or standing at the brink,
All she's gotta do is just give me that wink.”

It’s something either you can or cannot do; but if you can, it lets you communicate in a way that’s between you and one person or millions. It’s the wink. If you can’t do it, and you blink both eyes at the same time, well then I would suggest something else as you completely give it all away.

A wink is something you don’t see every day; you use it when you are letting someone know you are either kidding, attracted to them, or just being playful. It’s part of the human personality and it takes only a split second to split the lips of another individual into a smile, nod, or a better state of mind.

When I am photographing portraits, and I know the person who is facing the lens cannot wait to get out of there, I take control. Cross your eyes, jump in the air, now give me a wink---it’s all part of getting them engaged into having their photo taken. After it all starts, and then ends, they usually walk away saying, “Thank you” along with a smile on their face.

They weren’t expecting it, but I was…it works.

I am reasonably sure people winking at one another goes back to the days of Adam and Eve; I am not sure if it had the same meaning—maybe Adam got a branch slammed in his eye by Eve--- but as the wink has evolved, it is the signal that says so much without saying anything at all.

I always love to see when a couple is in love, and a wink travels across the room; you do have to be careful however, because if it is intercepted by the wrong individual, trouble begins. I am sure we have all witnessed it…and I hope for all of us we have been on the receiving end of having had someone do it to us in a warm way. That is, if you can wink without making yourself look like you have a twitch.

The photo above was taken of my youngest daughter and her friend on the first day of school last year; I was not there, but I am sure all my wife said was, “Give me a wink.”

Thanks for stopping by.



No comments:

Post a Comment