Search This Blog

Thursday, February 2, 2017

Boys of Fall.



"When I feel that chill, smell that fresh cut grass
I'm back in my helmet, cleats, and shoulder pads
Standing in the huddle, listening to the call
Fans going crazy for the boys of fall


With so much happening in the world, you may have forgotten this weekend is the "Big Game." I can't say the real name as it is trademarked and I guess I could get in trouble. 

Today's "Snap.Shot." is not about the game, it's about what it takes to get to the game. Not by car or plane, let's go way back…how about local football. In the area where I live, football is a big deal. Check that, a really big deal. Families come together in what would be best described as a "clan" to watch players of all sizes play their hearts out. What's most amazing about these games is viewing the development of these young boys (and sometimes girls) on the gridiron. 

It usually starts around age 8 or 9 when you see the speed develop. The blocking is not as big of a deal in comparison with some of these players who zip past opposing players. This is also the time when predictions start to be brought into discussions. The predictions are…how far this or that player go with the game? As a photographer, I have heard some pretty wild ones, but I have also agreed with many of them—as long as an injury doesn't play a factor in their future. (That's something that never creeps into conversations.)

In our town, the coaches from high school are starting to scout the players as well. I guess you could say this is a little NFL, and they want to be familiar with "Who to watch? Who is committed? Who is moldable into the mix?" This is serious stuff; not just for the coaches but for the community and school. 

What's always interesting is to see how much changes from the start of the season (when it's really hot outside) through November (when it is really cold outside). The stands are usually  full in the beginning and bursting when the season ends. I never have to worry about being squished, I am on the sidelines and honestly that's as close as I want to get to the game. I was not born to play football, or really any sport, but my Nikon was!  

What's been the most pleasure is watching the 8-9 year olds progress and then suddenly they're on the Varsity team. Even more surprising, they have matured to sizes that are unimaginable. Reality does come back into play when they take off their helmets…they are still  young men. 

Although I am not sure how many, but several players have gone on to play Division 1 football; I know of at least a couple who have signed with NFL teams. Pretty cool that it all started with a small field in our town.

So let's move back to the Big Game. 

The photo above was taken at our local high school. If you think about where every one of these players started their love for the game, it usually travels back to that small field in the middle of a town and/or a city that's just crazy about the game--all  in hopes one of these players takes it to the professional level.

Thanks for stopping by.




No comments:

Post a Comment