Search This Blog

Monday, February 6, 2017

What's that day?




"They say it's your birthday
It's my birthday too, yeah
They say it's your birthday
We're gonna have a good time
I'm glad it's your birthday
Happy birthday to you."


Unless I am mistaken, except for "Leap Year," there are 365 days in a year—on Earth. With all of the options out there to have a birthday, you would think the odds are pretty good not to see some overlap within a family. One would think at least.

Well, I believe our family defies the odds a bit.

When I decided to make my grand entrance into this world, I picked a date that would stick with me forever. My birthday, April 4, should not be that common. But ask my first cousin and he will say, "it's common with me..it's my birthday as well." Okay, so it's a fluke. Big deal.

Same two families again, and sure enough my sister and my late uncle share the same birthday. Of course, they're many years apart, but with all of the days (including leap years) here we are once more.

But wait, there's even more….

Same two families once again, and my brother and first cousin are born two days apart from one another. Again, there are a few years separating them, but it's getting kind of weird here. 

Want more? Sure you do.

It was only believed and not confirmed, but my grandfather's both had the same birthday. The reason they were not sure was they came from Europe and they never had a confirmed date of birth but when they arrived to the U.S. both had listed birthdays as the same. True story.

Could there be even more?

Actually, yes. My daughter and my wife almost had the same birthday but we induced labor to avoid this happening. It would have been too awkward and my wife was ready to call this one done and have her already. Hold it, there can't be more, can there? Well, maybe. My youngest daughter and my sister and uncle came within an eyelash of all three sharing the same day, but we induced again. 

Almost done; although not as joyous, my mother was born and buried on the same date. 

Whew…that's it. But if you don't see a coincidence, you would have to agree there's something crazy going on here. 

Lastly, I remember a long time ago I was always surprised when I heard so and so had their birthday on October 2. I knew several people with that date. I never understood until I did the math; I travelled nine months back and there was New Year's staring me in the face. (It turns out, the most popular birthdate in the world is actually October 5th, but still close enough.)

The photo above was take this past weekend. It seemed only fitting that on this date, I would be wishing a Happy Birthday to my daughter and grandson. With all of the available dates on the calendar, Hallmark is ready for when we walk in to buy multiple cards.


Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment