Search This Blog

Saturday, March 21, 2020

There's a rainbow above us.





“Somewhere over the rainbow
Way up high
And the dreams that you dream of
Once in a lullaby
Somewhere over the rainbow
Bluebirds fly
And the dreams that you dream of
Dreams really do come true.”

I was not planning to start “Snap.Shot.” again, but now with time on my hands and thoughts in my head, it just seems like something I would like to do. If you would like to come back for the ride, feel free to do so, if not I certainly understand. But I am hoping you do.

We are in a time unlike anything we most likely have ever experienced; we’ve lived through 9/11, storms, floods, and fires (and of course, H1N1, Sara and others) but nothing like we have going on in our lives at this time. If this is the only time we have to do this, I am just fine with it.  Just as long as we can all make it through to the other side. 

Although it was nearly 20 years ago, the morning of September 11, 2001 was a day that stopped our nation and the world. The difference, if there was one, is we didn’t see it coming; it came and we responded. With the Coronavirus we were aware of it being out there, and had waited for it to make its way to the states. Either way, it is a very alarming situation and whereas we will work through it, it’s the unknown that has completely turned our world upside down.

Let’s turn this upside down and make it more optimistic. I think we need it right now.

After every storm, there is often something that comes after that is positive. Whether it’s neighbors coming together, friends and family reaching out, or just the world coming into view—-we will find the good from a bad situation. 

In one of my previous jobs, the company came up with a concept of helping those in need. Think about this. A catastrophe hits, homes are destroyed, people are displaced, and as the skies clear—-thousands of families need the basic necessities. In this case it was to have clean clothes to bring a slice of normalcy back into their lives. 

The area hit was hot, muggy and filthy from a massive hurricane. The idea that was brought to market quickly, “Loads of Hope” by Tide laundry detergent. It was an incredible response that took a decimated area and helped bring it back to life; although only one component to getting back on their feet, they had clean clothes and they were THEIR clothes. We all know how important that critical step is and Tide delivered it to them.

The photo above is more than it appears. Recently I was in Arizona and after attending a spring training game, the Cubs versus the Angels, I headed from Mesa down to Tucson. About 45 minutes from my destination I saw it on the horizon. At first I was not sure, then as I got closer and closer I witnessed one of the most vibrant rainbows I had ever seen. Moving closer, it got bigger and bigger. I was hoping for a pot of gold when I pulled over to take a picture, but all I got was an incredible image. For me, that’s even more valuable. (Unless there really was a pot of gold, and then I would have taken that instead.)

We are in a time that we really don’t want to be in. There is little we can do except do what we are asked to do; we need to stay indoors, away from people, and be extremely careful of spreading this virus accidentally to those who are most susceptible to catching it. But let’s remember the Wizard of Oz…behind the curtain is the real story, and once we know it, we will be able to look back and see that over the rainbow are better days.


Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment