Search This Blog

Thursday, April 2, 2020

Today, tomorrow, and the next days.







Remember when the days were long
And rolled beneath a deep blue sky
Didn't have a care in the world
With mommy and daddy standing by.”

It was around this time of year, when as a boy, ice cream trucks would begin to make their way into the neighborhood, baseball mitts came out, and weeds popped through the soil. Right now, I would be happy to see the weeds as long as we could be outside with our neighbors and friends. 

Weeds were not my friends; I hated them and my father really wanted them out of his garden, planters, and around the bushes in our front yard. I will never forget the very sharp triangular black rocks that were spread around the bushes and the need to kneel on them in order to pull the weeds. Obviously, picking weeds in the hot, humid weather St. Louis is known for, made going into the house with that first rush of air conditioning the best feeling of the day.

I never realized how these days would shape me as I grew older. They became stories I would tell to others, especially when there was a need for humor; for example, one time when I was playing catch with my Dad, actually pitching to him, I forgot to tell him I was going to throw a curve ball. It was one of those rare pitches that really did curve and it hit him right in the middle of the forehead. If I had a camera, I would have taken a picture of the seams from the baseball that were “implanted” there,  but if I had done so I would likely be back to picking more weeds. (My Dad was the nicest human, so he really would not have done that.)

Truthfully, growing up I didn’t have a care in the world; every day went by and usually ended on a positive note…at least of what I remember, and I will live with those thoughts…especially right now during these uncertain times

The photo above was not something I did often. In fact, I can only remember playing hop scotch once or twice. But it’s the memory of seeing the chalk to the side, the squares and triangle in a straight line, that let me know these were times of innocence. 

Times I hope we see again soon.


Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment