Search This Blog

Friday, April 3, 2020

The Road.





“But the band's on the bus
And they're waiting to go
We’ve got to drive all night
And do a show in Chicago.”

When you travel for business or pleasure, there’s something new waiting for you around every corner. It might be a hidden valley, beautiful landscape, or a police car hoping you have forgotten to watch your speed—but there is something about being on the road that is appealing. Right now, being on the road, or even outside our homes, seems like a far away dream. 

I have been in sales my entire business career. In the beginning it was very exciting even though my territory was far from it. I would drive (there was no need to fly) and once in the town, I would settle in for a few days away from my normal routine. It was fun, especially with an American Express card. (Funny thing, I was often asked…”Why are you spending so little when you’re out of town?”) True story and still true today.

I have had some great, and not so great experiences on the road—there are three that come to mind. 

My first was when I was in a city, prior to a college football game that was to be played between the university in the state where I lived, and the state where I was I was staying. I was going to be home by game time, but it didn’t matter. I came out of my hotel and noticed my car was tilted to one side. That night, because I had an Illinois license plate, two of my tires were slashed. At first I thought it was a random act, but learned 2 or 3 other cars had the same thing happen to them. (The hotel said, “We heard something outside, but didn’t check.”) My last time staying at that hotel.

Once when I was in California, I was heading to my room after checking in; as I opened the door there were two people already in the room. Let’s just say they were occupied at the moment-—luckily they had other rooms available. Didn’t stay at that hotel again either.

But there were some great times on the road. 

Even though it started out as a  frightening experience, it ended up with a friendship that has lasted many years. One of my New York counterparts was traveling with me--- and as we were heading to a call about an hour or so away, we experienced what we were sure was a tornado. Cars were skidding into the median, and I knew something was up, because the rain stopped very abruptly.  Both of our faces reflected we thought this could be it; happy to report it wasn’t. (Right after it all had passed, I made one of my more brilliant comments..”I think it’s okay if we’re a few minutes late for our meeting!”} 

We haven’t spoken in years, but every time we do, we bring it up.

The photo above was taken in Utah a few years ago. One of my favorite places to take a photo is right in the middle the road. I always listen for cars, and have at times laid down to get a better vantage point. I really hope one day I don’t become road kill, but if I do, there should be a photo to see my final shot.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment