Search This Blog

Sunday, June 3, 2012

The Cards.




"We like beer flat as can be

We like our dogs with mustard and relish

We got a great pitcher what's his name

Well, we can't even spell it

We don't worry about the pennant much

We just like to see the boys hit it deep

There's nothing like the view from the cheap seats.”

Traveling into St. Louis, right after you cross the Mississippi River on Highway 40, you cannot help but notice two structures. One is the Arch, which stands 630 feet above the ground; the other is Busch Memorial Stadium---for Cardinal fans it towers above any building or structure in the anywhere in America.
Since coming into this world, I have been to three stadiums that were home to the Cardinals. One I barely remember, one I remember being built and now is torn down, and the new field is where future memories and photographs will happen. I have been to one game since it was built, it was several years ago when my Dad and I sat in centerfield and watched the Cardinals play the Colorado Rockies.
There is something about baseball season, and specifically the St. Louis Cardinals, that brings the city together; sure not everyone is a fan, but if you notice the amount of red shirts, caps and other merchandise, this town is nuts about the Cardinals.
Growing up we treasured the Cardinals. The games were watched on TV, listened to on transistor radios, and front-page news in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. When the Cardinals won the 1967 World Series, it was the first one I really remember, people talked about it until the next year’s World Series when again, they were back trying to do it all once more. They didn’t win it; it was devastating to the city and especially a 10 year old boy who was crushed by their losing.
A number of years ago I went to a baseball card show and saw 3 cards I knew I had to have. One was of Lou Brock, Curt Flood, and my very favorite player, Joe Torre. I am sure I have the cards somewhere, I just don’t know where. This time it’s not my Mom’s fault they are lost, it’s mine.
The photo above was taken last weekend when I wrote about the cemetery where my Mom, Aunt and Uncle are now living. As I walked up I noticed what I thought was a home plate placed next to a stone. Sure enough it had the logo of the famous St. Louis Cardinal on it. I had to smile and I had to think of a metaphor to describe it…to me, and I assume to the family, it signified no matter where you end up, you are always “safe at home.”
Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment