Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Star. Power.




'Cause when you're a celebrity
It's adios reality
You can act just like a fool
People think you're cool
Just 'cause you're on TV
I can throw a major fit
When my latte isn't just how I like it
When they say I've gone insane
I'll blame it on the fame
And the pressures that go with
Being a celebrity.”

We live in a society where being famous places you above the crowd of individuals who are pretty much in the sea of average folks. It doesn’t matter who they are, you know they have done something different---such as star in a motion picture--and suddenly they are elevated to a different status. Often times their egos travel upward too.

However, not always.

Last night, when I got home, I was informed we were going to our local library for an ice cream social and the chance to meet someone famous. I thought, “Famous at our local library? Who could it be?” A writer, a local politician, or someone who I would have no idea or interest in meeting? I am happy to report---I was wrong.

Upon arriving at the library, the first thing I noticed was a crowd of people where I have never seen a crowd before. I thought, “Wow, maybe I am mistaken and yes, Salena Gomez was actually here in Glen Ellyn.” My kids thought for sure it was going to be her and Justin Bieber mingling with the kids who were there to meet a “celebrity.” Thankfully they were elsewhere and not in Glen Ellyn, IL.

About 20 minutes after arriving, with paint on their faces and push-up pops in their hands, my daughters and I ventured up a small hill to see a young girl signing movie posters. Yes, she was an actress (actually the lead) in a movie that is scheduled for release on June 29th in select cities around the country and on-demand June 15th--- her name is Rylie Behr.  It’s called “I Heart Shakey.”(Heart as in a heart shape.)

What impressed me about Rylie was her smile and eagerness to listen to kids who immediately felt like they were amongst royalty. She is 12 years old, looks younger, but has the charisma and personality of someone well beyond her years.. (If you are reading this Rylie, you have plenty of time to grow up—just take your time and enjoy the ride.)

I spoke with both the producer and Rylie’s Mom and learned she was discovered in a mall; you might be thinking, “Which one in Los Angeles, New York or Chicago?” How about the mall in Des Moines, Iowa. Been there? I have been to Iowa no less than 100 times; my Dad was born in a town about 40 miles from Des Moines.

What I liked about Rylie most---she seemed to understand she is very fortunate to be in this position. She is grounded…not the grounding from being bad...but “grounded” in a way that when she goes back to school, she will be a normal kid again. Pretty cool.

In a previous career I worked in entertainment marketing and the stories told about celebrities ranged from, “You have got to be kidding to you can’t be serious.” I am sorry to say, they were not kidding and they were serious.

My favorite story—it’s true---involved a Disney teen star; her contract was run through a large talent agency and her father was her manager. That can be the worst thing to happen to a child, their parents  go from novices to experts when they hear one word---“income.” This individual was willing to “settle” for $500,000 to perform a 1-day shoot. In other words, she was making more money than the average American makes in 15 years all in one day. Not bad for a 15 year old, right?

Her Dad thought she was worth more. She is after all…his daughter. He said, “Last night I re-thought the contract and I think she is really worth $750,000.” She got it.

So how is she doing? Let’s just say you may have read about her and her star has tarnished greatly.

Unless I am mistaken, I suspect Rylie will not end up in the same situation; her Mom is with her as she travels, she is being well taken care of in a crazy world that tends to not take care of you. She just seems different---I think it’s her Iowa roots and having someone who is showing her the way

The photo above was taken with my daughter Sophie. My other daughter was taking pictures using a film camera, however when it came time for Sophie’s turn, the film had been used up. That did not set well with a 7-year old. So, out came the iphone, Rylie stepped out from behind her table, put her arm around Sophie, smiled and the rest as they say will be Sophie’s story of the time she met a movie star.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment