Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Determined.




“Well, you’re not suppose
 to say the word “cancer” 
in a song.
And tellin’ folks that Jesus is the answer,

Can rub ‘em wrong.

It ain’t hip to sing about

Tractors, trucks, little towns or mama,
Yeah, that might be true.

But this is country music,

And we do.”

When it comes to cancer, there really is very little that’s positive to write about---except for those who are determined to do something about it. I really admire those who take a stand and creatively look for solutions to get the message out. This past weekend was a perfect example of how a cause can bring out the best in people.
We live on a fairly long street; divided by cross streets, they separate one “small” neighborhood from another. 
Every summer, once the snow goes and cold weather takes a long needed break, there will be individual block parties where neighbors, who have been virtually in hibernation since fall, come out of the woodwork to re-connect.
We comment about how the kids have grown, what has happened in their lives and neighborhood issues that make the time fly by. Then we go home and promise to get together before fall. I suspect you know what happens from that point on.
This past Sunday, we had one “small neighborhood” reach over into another and invite us to their block party; there is nothing snooty about not having one block join another, it just sort of happens that way.
But something happened that changed the dynamic of the street on Sunday; lined with large trees, the street turned into a sea of pink. Pink ribbons wrapped around trees, pink flowers placed in flower pots, and pink luminaries lighting the way creating a magical path with the objective of curing cancer. If you have read “Snap. Shot.” for any period of time, you know cancer (I will not capitalize this horrific disease) is something that’s near and dear to me. It was three years ago at this time when I watched my Mom—from afar---fight for her life as she battled brain cancer. She lost.
I really didn’t know much about what was going on when I saw the ribbons being wrapped around the trees. It was later that evening I learned one of our neighbors was very actively involve in a fight against breast cancer. She does not have it, it was in honor of her mother who has battled the disease and now has seen this disease spread to her pancreas.
What I learned was really impressive about Lynda’s (my neighbor down the street) determination; along with friends she organized a group called---you ready for this?

“ The Titsy Chicks.”

Lynda and her group sold shirts and other items at the block party---my youngest wanted a t-shirt and I was very proud she was wearing it yesterday. Adults pay attention to kids outfits, I am hoping Sophie (my daughter) will be a pro-active billboard spreading the word about the need to fight.
The photo above was taken at the block party; Lynda had been taking photos with her point and shoot camera and it was not in the mood to cooperate. My wife Susan was talking with her and walked home to get the trusty Nikon. She not only captured the essence of the luminaries, but hopefully through “Snap. Shot.” visually spread the word of the fight that everyone needs to be involved in until “cancer” is just an astrological sign and a disease we have conquered.
Thanks for stopping by.


3 comments:

  1. Hi Mark.
    Did Lynda make those pink ribbon bags or does she have a source for purchasing them?
    Hope all is well with you and yours.
    Angela Brassinga

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Angela,

    I believe she makes them and sells them. I will let you know...if you would like, I can give you her e-mail address. Please e-mail me at mrosenbaum123@gmail.com.

    Hope you are well too.

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Mark, well said.

    Allison

    ReplyDelete