Search This Blog

Friday, August 17, 2012

Out at sea.



"Wait a minute baby...
Stay with me awhile,
Said you'd give me light
But you never told be about the fire.
Drowning, in the sea of love
Where everyone would love to drown,
But now it's gone,
It doesn't matter what for,
When you build your house,
Then call me home."

Music is a very powerful way of expressing yourself without having to say, "this is about me." When a writer puts words on paper, and music around the words,  I am not sure if he or she is writing about them self or if perhaps they can disassociate themselves from the meaning and just create magic. If they can do this, they are not human. At least I know I couldn't do it.

As I have grown up, and I actually have, music has defined my inner emotions. I have felt love, rage, defeat, and every conceivable emotion as I have listened and let my mind drift into wherever it feels like taking me during those few minutes. I am not the only one of course, but what's interesting is how 3 or 4 minutes can change how someone feels and take them to a place where they are safe or perhaps even vulnerable. We let this happen, it's part of the emotions we have stored deep within us. Can you imagine if we didn't have this ability? I can't.

A long time ago, I wrote about the power of the radio in "Snap.Shot." Growing up in St. Louis, I had a white clock radio that I received when I was probably around 8 or 10 years old. When I first received it I was pissed. Why? Because my brother received a tape recorder and that was the coolest thing I had seen; me, on the other hand, I got a damn clock with an AM/FM radio. Oh how I misunderstood the power of radio---I ended up treasuring that gift for many years. I cannot say the same about the tape recorder.

There were nights when I would turn the radio on and listen to stations such as KSLQ, KIRL, and KSHE (if I felt like "hard rock") and would just let myself go wherever my mind had the keys to drive me to. One of my favorite songs, and I still love it today, was "Things We Said Today" by the Beatles. It explored loss, love and the power of the memory of days gone by---I probably listened to that song a million times. More likely on my record player, but sometimes on the radio.

Normally I don't write about the song I have placed on "Snap.Shot," but I will today. This song by Fleetwood Mac just tears at me; the power of the words, combined with the sadness of the sound of the music, always works in taking me to a place I yearn to be. I know, you think I am kidding---but I am not. It's something about "drowning in the sea of love, where everyone would love to drown" that resonates with my years growing up. I was socially and physically awkward and so bad wanted to be in love with someone who would feel the same way back. I have later found that in my later years, but it's the "Wonder Years" that are such powerful memories.

The photo above was taken on the banks of Lake Michigan; we were actually on the Michigan side. I saw this boat, and I saw the fading sun, and knew there would be a moment where they would come together. It was a fleeting moment---in other words, it was like love at times.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment