Search This Blog

Friday, January 11, 2013

Pay it forward.




Help, I need somebody,
Help, not just anybody,
Help, you know I need someone,
Help!”

This is the time of year where people are recuperating from the holidays; the time when giving is the norm for about 35 days or so. It all depends on when Thanksgiving falls during that particular year. 

After the 25th of December, the giving starts to slow down and eventually we are back to our non-holiday way of living. In other words, it’s back to the usual grind.

If we have learned anything from the last month or so, I hope it has to deal with being nice to others and knowing that not every family or individual has it the same as whoever is reading today’s “Snap.Shot.”I never really planned to write about this, but when I saw the photo that was accompanying this blog, I figured, “They will not be all that surprised based upon some of the personal situations I have written about before.”

This past Monday I was walking to the office when I said “Hello” to a person at a street corner; he was on a bike and he said, “Hello” back. The light turned, the walk sign came on, and I was back on my way. A moment later there he was riding and he stopped to ask me a question. By instinct, when you live in a city as large as Chicago, you have a pretty good idea what his next question is going to be. I was right. He asked if I could help him out with some money. I said, “I am sorry but I don’t have any.” I was not telling the truth and it was apparent he read me like a good book.

He went on to tell me how he was on parole, and how if he didn’t make it to his parole hearing, he was going to be thrown back in jail. For some crazy reason, and maybe because it was the tears that were swelling in his eyes, I believed him. When he said he needed, “$18.50” for a ride of some sort, I thought, “Seriously, you have got to be kidding.” He was serious. I was too, there was no way I was giving him that much money and I said, “I am late for a meeting and I will give you $10.00.” He looked at me and said, “I really need $18.50.” He knew by my look that the $10 was about to vanish and it should have but I stood there and continued to talk with him.

But, and this is where I just had to let him know I was on to him, or suspected I was, I said, “I am going to give you the $10, but I really hope you are telling me the truth. If you are, then I hope it helps you out; if you are not, you can deal with whatever comes about from being dishonest. I want to help you.” I am sure he thought, “got him.”

Okay, I am sure you all are thinking that I was taken for---and you are likely right. But deep down I was really hoping he was being honest. I thought about this the remainder of the walk to work and was feeling more than a little duped. But then I thought, “Will I really miss the $10?” I finally came to the decision, “I hope not.” I also knew I had paid it forward---and regardless---I was going to accept what I did.

The photo above was taken at the Glide Church in San Francisco; being a Jewish man, I don’t spend a lot of time in Church’s, but was assured this would be an experience I would never forget. Glide Church was located in what is known as the “Tenderloin District”---if you are thinking this is a high-end area of the city, think again. The Church began a number of years ago and welcomes any, and all religions, to come in and be a part of this community.

There is little doubt the Church needs work, but the experience gained from being there needs no form of change. The choir was amazing, the voice of the minister clear and concise, and the feeling I received by being with others who do not have what I am fortunate to have, I understood. There are 365 days in the year (non-leap year of course) and no matter what the day of the year, paying it forward feels good, even if I suspect my $10 went to something more than a transit ride.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment