Search This Blog

Thursday, January 31, 2013

No way. Oh yes, way.



"How can I just let you walk away,
Just let you leave without a trace,
When I'm standing taking every breath,
With you, ooohhh,
You're the only one who really knew me, 
At all."


Sometimes something out of the corner of your eye stops you dead in your tracks. It might be something as simple, and wonderful, as money on the ground---and better yet, if it's a penny having old Abe staring up at you. I do pick up pennies when they are facing up...why not? Doesn't everyone need a little good luck.

Many years ago when I lived in the city, I woke up and went to get some coffee at a near by coffee shop. This was long before Starbucks and the modern high-priced coffee shop, this was a neighborhood place where they served lousy coffee but it was still better than the brown water we drank at our apartment. 

As I was walking, I noticed something on the ground. It looked like a dollar bill; I was wrong, it was a $20 bill. I could not believe my good fortune and part of me, I have no idea why this bothers me, thought..."someone might be looking for this?" I looked around and when I saw no one, figured it was now mine and today's coffee was on someone who I didn't know. I wish they had come up, I would have bought them a cup of coffee.

We all have had this happen when something, for some reason, catches your attention. I know that many couples have claimed to have seen someone out of the corner of their eye and then started to talk. For some it is a fleeting "nice to meet you" and for others, it can be a lifelong, "you are not going to believe how we met story." Either way, it's that sense that is deep within us that makes life interesting.

A number of years ago, and I believe I have written about this before, I was at the opening game of the Tampa Bay Devil Rays an expansion team at the time. Over the years they have dropped the word "Devil" from their name---and unlike the Cubs, they have been in the World Series recently. 

Back to the game.

I was with my family when the crack of the bat is heard below where we were sitting. Out of the corner of my eye I saw something coming at me...yes at me...it was a baseball. There was little doubt it had its eyes on me and I was going to make my son proud. As it came toward me I wondered what it would be like to catch a fly ball---I will never know, as it hit my hands it spun as quickly out of them and fell to the stands below. It was embarrassing---and even till this day I still wish I had brought it to my body and trapped it. As the crowd booed, I could not wait to get out of there---unfortunately it was only the 3rd inning. Darn.

The photo above was taken with my iPhone. As I walked through our neighborhood grocery store, I saw a can on the shelf that I was sure did not say what I thought it said. I was wrong, it did and I had to take a photo. Apparently over the big pond to the East, this is found in many pantries---it's funny, I have use many Heinz products in my day, but this is one I don't think I will be trying any time soon.

Thanks for stopping by.


No comments:

Post a Comment