Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

The other side.



"Somewhere over the rainbow, way up high
There's a land that I've heard of once in a lullaby.
Somewhere over the rainbow, skies are blue
And the dreams that you dare to dream,
Really do come true."

No matter how young or old you are, it's natural to wonder what would it be like if things had not gone as planned. What if we really could go to the land of "Back to the Future, It's a Wonderful Life, or one of my favorites, Mr. Destiny"---would we change our lives or just marvel at where we have come and what lies ahead in the future?

Boy, that was deep...excuse me.

Maybe it's the time of the year, but this is when I look around and wonder, "Why am I in Chicago?" I really don't like the weather for more than 6 months a year and whereas it is a big bustling town, I wish I was more a part of it than I am today. I go into the city, out of the city, and I know the paths to take in order to make my commute back home shorter. That's just plain wrong. 

I think part of the issue, and certainly the weather plays a role, is the desire to stay inside when it's either too cold, there's too much snow, or better yet as screwy of weather as we are having now. We have gone from single digit temperatures to spring time in less than 48 hours. Might sound like winter is over in January, but it's not. We are supposed to see temperatures drop by 50 degrees this week. As my daughters like to say, "Whatever."

So what's missing? I know what's missing...I have not been motivated to take photos as often as I have in the past. In some respects I feel like I have taken so many different subjects that I need something novel to shoot. I have been to zoos, sporting arenas, countless family photo sessions, and museums---I need to find a venue that is going to excite me and my trusty Nikon. I am thinking.

Probably the most fun I have had recently, and I do believe it will become part of my stomping grounds, is photographing horses. There is something very challenging, yet simple, about these creatures who I have no desire to be around--except to take photos. They let you into their souls and I very carefully work to make sure they know I am only there for one reason, to capture their beauty. My wife and I are going to be photographing more horses for a few reasons---because owners really love what they have yet to do on their own with their camera and I know if we take good photos, they will end up on walls. From a pure business and greed point of view, they are more than happy to pay for our services. 

The photo above was taken a couple of years ago at the Morton Arboretum---my youngest daughter is taking the path to the other side of this short tunnel. I think we all dream of what's on the other side and what it will bring us if we go through it. Do we really want to know? I guess that all depends on what's waiting for us.

Thanks for stopping by


No comments:

Post a Comment