Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Home.




"No, I think you got me all wrong
I don't regret this life I chose for me
But these places and these faces are getting old
I said, these places and these faces are getting old
So, I'm going home."

For the past 11 months, our 15 year-old daughter, Izzy, has lived with her aunt and uncle in California. As a maturing woman, she needed to take a look around and see what was out beyond the confines she was living in. In other words, as difficult as it was, we knew where she was heading was not a place we felt she deserved; she is too special, and bright, not to succeed. Fortunately, and it was not easy, we were right---rather, my wife was right.

Although not my biological daughter, Izzy and I have been together since she was 4 years old. I have seen her hate me, love me, and every emotion in between. There is little doubt, I am very proud of my daughter---she is one cool kid and wow can she sing and play the guitar. 

We all have genetic traits; even though there is no way she would have gotten them from me, she has the music gene deeply imbedded within her. Her father is a very talented musician and her Mom can sing. Although her father has more difficulty these days singing and playing, as he deals with the progression of Parkinson's disease, he is still pretty darn good. All you have to do is hear me at a ballgame and you know how bad a singing voice can be. Thanks Dad---I got the non-musical genes.

As I have written in "Snap. Shot." we like to gather around the television on Wednesday and Thursday nights and watch American Idol. We have done this every year since I can remember, and although I continue to say, "Not this year---I am tired of the show," sure enough I am sucked back into it again. I think the only thing that might hold me back next year are the ratings this years show is getting---it might not be back on.

Back to Izzy.

Being 2000 plus miles apart has made it difficult to experience the growth Izzy has had in music and life. But thanks to technology, we can see her on YouTube. That is when she puts up a video. She is not one to show off, but I do ask, plead and beg her to do it...she is just a natural talent. How do I know? Her music teachers have told my wife and sister in law how good she is. How do they know what they're talking about? One of them played with the Grateful Dead and the other has been a professional musician for decades. I guess that summed it up for me--they know what they're talking about.

The photo above is a moment in time. Surrounding the computer, watching Izzy play on YouTube are her Mom, her Dad, two sisters and her Dad's girlfriend. Izzy is probably not going to try out for the American Idol because it's not her style. But I can say, if I ever was wondering how far an individual can come in a short period of time, I am seeing it this week----because she is "home."

Thanks for stopping by.



No comments:

Post a Comment