Search This Blog

Friday, April 5, 2013

Through the eyes of a soldier.



"I'm proud to be an American where at least I know I'm free, 
And I won't forget the men who died who gave that right to me, 
And I gladly stand up next to you and defend her still today, 
'Cause there ain't no doubt I love this land God Bless the U.S.A."


I was never going to be drafted based upon the year I was born. But I do remember, as an early teenager, the fear those just a few years ahead of me had when they learned of their " draft number." I witnessed it when my sister went to the University of Iowa; we were at breakfast and many of the parents were comparing their son's draft numbers and the fear or relief they had based upon where it fell. It was all done by birthdate.

Those times are etched upon my memory because I was scared about going to war. If it were today, I would still be scared. 

This past January, my father-in-law and his wife moved in to our home. Having grown up in rural Mississippi, he actually had to decide---along with his brother---who would go to college, and who would not. He got the short straw that day when it was decided. He ended up enlisting in the military and went to West Point to get his college education. However, part of the agreement of going to this prestigious university is the commitment you make to the military. He did it, was proud to have done it, and served more than 5 years in Vietnam. 

Although he has Alzheimer's disease, he can talk about memories of what occurred during those years and talks about them in a very positive way. There is not a bit of hatred, there is an understanding that this was his duty to his country. 

For those who remember this war, when the soldiers came back to U.S. soil they were far from welcomed. They were often times taunted, abused, and treated as an outcast. Like they really wanted to spend time away from family, friends, and America to go to a country where they were hunted?? That was just a horrible way to treat those who defended us and made our land a safer place. Fortunately, I guess, America now understands that soldiers are heroes; we should never forget the role they play in making our country better and safer. 

I am not a fan of being at war---and I am one who sat on the sidelines because there was not a war going on during my "draftable" years---but I do have a better idea of what it was like thanks to my father-in-law. He may not have the memory he had just a few short years ago, but somethings he has not forgotten due to this horrible disease. He is a hero, he is a good man, and he is someone I will write about again.

The photo above was taken last Saturday night in Milwaukee. It was one of those scenes you see on the news. Soldier comes home, wife or kids don't know about it, and the moment of surprise is captured for all to see on video. It was one of those moments---I was so proud to capture it on my trust Nikon. Even more important, the teams (during a break in the action) watched from a much better vantage point. They clapped and had smiles on their faces; they realized, I assume, that being on the court in battle is not even close to the kind of "war" these brave men and women encounter thousands of miles away.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment