Search This Blog

Thursday, April 18, 2013

O.C.B.



"A bottle of red, a bottle of white
It all depends on your appetite
I'll meet you any time you want
In our Italian Restaurant."

For more than 20 years, there has been a tradition in our household; what's funny is, neither my first or current wife wanted anything to do with it. However, my kids have always seen it as a way to spend time with their Dad and to make independent choices. Although small by some standards, deciding what is going to go on your plate and mix in your stomach, is a big decision to a young child. 

Where do we go? Well, "O.C.B." Or, AKA---"Old Country Buffet."

For those of you are saying, "You have got to be kidding?" I am not. There is something about walking up to the food island and watching your son or daughter decide whether to have mac and cheese, chicken (fried or baked), or better yet---some food you have never heard of when the spoon goes in and places it on the plate. 

Going to O.C.B. is an experience. Of course you see a variety of families who are dining, but for everyone there, it's an opportunity for them to be together and that is the magic that this restaurant has. Is the food delicious? Umm....no, but it's not as bad as you might imagine. Actually their soup is pretty good.  

While we were eating last night, the manager came up and said, "Why are you texting during dinner with your daughter?" I wasn't, I was taking a photo with my iphone. I also knew that taking a photo was not something that you are supposed to do at O.C.B.---I guess they don't want anyone to steal their secret. I explained that I was not doing anything more than taking a photo to send to one of my daughters. We talked for about 15 minutes---for questioning why I was texting, he saw no problem with talking to me while my daughter sat there waiting for him to leave.

The photo above is top secret so please do not share. This is one of the food islands at O.C.B.; taken from a distance, so no one can see what is hiding in the metal containers, I can tell you, it was the choice of the evening for my daughter Audrey who so badly wanted to go and spend time with Dad. I loved every minute and forkful of spending time with her---I can't wait for my other kids to join us next time.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment