Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 16, 2021

The skies the limit.


 


“I’m learning to fly but I ain’t got wings

Comin’ down is the hardest thing

I’m learning to fly around the clouds

But what goes up must come down.”


I think deep down, I have always thought about how cool it would be if we could fly. I learned the reality early in life that we are not meant to do so, but I still have daydreamed about it many times.


The thought of being able to soar above buildings and look down is a visual I would love to photograph—-it will likely be from a drone. One of my bucket list wishes is to be in New York or a large city (one with congested buildings) and capture that image. If you don’t know what I am talking about, on some TV shows the opening scene you’ll see it.


I do have a way of “possibly” getting this done. When you ride to the city by train, you see many of the same people over and over again. Eventually you strike up a conversation and get to know them; in this case, I got to know both of them as they were a couple who commuted in together. 


One day it came up that he was a pilot and owned an airplane. He was the first person I have known who owned one, and the first who offered me a chance to go take pictures. Although it has yet to happen due to the pandemic, I did see him recently and the topic came up.  He said, “when things are better, I’ll take you.” He knows what I am looking to shoot and I would say there is a 12% chance it will happen. I think it’s illegal to violate the airspace above the buildings.


So back to flying.


I have written before about my adventure on an open cockpit bi-plane, if back then we had a GoPro I would have worn it. But since they had yet to be invented, it lives in my head as an incredible memory. One that I will not do again—-I am not sure my equilibrium could handle it. 


The photo above was taken several years ago. I had always wanted to photograph skiers in flight. We were at a ski resort that was having a horrible season. They set up a ski jump and I politely “begged” to be place myself by the edge of the jump and the large landing pad that the skiers would land on. It was amazing. So, I still can’t fly, and I still won’t go on an open cockpit bi-plane, but that afternoon I felt 100% free.


Thanks for stopping by.


No comments:

Post a Comment