Search This Blog

Friday, January 13, 2023

Hometowns.

 



“I been there, done that

But I ain't looking back on the seeds I've sown

Saving dimes, spending too much time on the telephone

Who says you can't go home?”


For many of us, “home” is where we were born, raised, and currently live. For the rest of us, our hometown is a thing of the past.


I no longer live in my hometown, and based upon the number of years I have lived in Chicago, I have to wonder, “Has my original hometown switched to where I currently live?” That was deep, my bad. For sure, I feel more “planted” today in Chicago, but there are still certain components of St. Louis that are imbedded deep inside me. 


For example, I developed real friendships there and some are still around today. When you return to the area, no matter how long you have been gone, you are welcomed back. The Cardinals are still a much better team than the Cubs and I will NEVER wear any thing that has the Cubs logo on it. I do have a t-shirt from when they won the World Series in 2016, it sits in a drawer; I figure over the many decades until it happens again, maybe my great grandkids will be able to sell it for more than I purchased it. 


We live in much different times today than when my grandparents came to America; based upon what I experienced with my Dad, he was born in Iowa, moved to St. Louis as a young child, and never left. Same with his brother. My Mom, she was born and stayed in the city she called home as well--St. Louis is very much a part of my family.


Of my siblings, only my brother has remained in my hometown; my sister and I moved away, and as far as my kids, they are scattered all over. Fortunately none live outside the U.S. at this time, but they live far enough away that that Canada is closer than they are. 


With the help of technology, it really doesn’t matter where you live to feel like you are connected. Thanks to Zoom, smartphones, and email (it’s better than snail mail) you can feel like you are right there, even if you are not. I wonder, if in the not to distant future, will we be able to travel as close to speed of light and be in one place moments after you just left another? I am not talking from one room to another, I mean from one place hundreds of miles away. If it sounds too “Jetson’s” like, but someone, somewhere is thinking about this and might have a prototype. (We will probably see it on Shark Tank!)


The photo above was taken this past fall. It was a beautiful night in Chicago; I stood by the Shedd Aquarium, pointed my iPhone toward the skyline, and pushed the button. I will probably not retire in Chicago, but I can say with certainty, it will be the place I live the longest. I do like it here, and will always have fond memories, but I will never root for the Cubs.


Thanks for stopping by.

1 comment:

  1. Cherie Leeser VenableJanuary 13, 2023 at 8:22 AM

    Once a Cardinal fan, always a Cardinal fan! Forty six years in St Louis, my home town and twenty five in Dallas, TX. Cherie (Leeser)Venable

    ReplyDelete