Search This Blog

Thursday, January 19, 2023

One.

 





“But you see everyday that we'll never turn away

When it seems all your dreams come undone

We will stand by your sideFilled with hope and filled with pride

We are more than we are

We are one.”


If you are ever looking to find teamwork in action, go out and find a local field, court or rink and you will see it right in front of you. Age, gender or race doesn’t matter, a team is a team and when they believe in one another it all becomes one.


Over the time I have written “Snap.Shot.” I have been pretty open about my not being much of an athlete. It’s not that I didn’t have the interest, I didn’t have the capabilities as others did. But as I have said then, and I will say today, “that’s okay, I am in a much better situation being a photographer.” That’s not to say I have avoided being involved in the sport from the sidelines, I have had a bat fly right over my head (a couple of times), a puck come into the penalty box where I was shooting, and countless near misses on the football field. Why do I do it? Because I love it and it makes me feel like I am part of the game.


However, the best part of taking pictures is the interaction between players; high fives, pats on the back and many hugs are what make it all worth it. For such a tough sport, football players it seems, are the ones who show the most love to one another—-I sense they know and have grown up knowing one bad hit ends their dreams. Don’t get me wrong, hockey, baseball and other sports show the grit and emotion, it’s just that I am much more familiar with football. Plus, I have seen the impact a fallen player has on the team and it is not something you EVER photograph.


Probably the one photo I have taken that demonstrated the power of a team was when I photographed a state championship football game a number of years ago. Both teams were powerhouses, and they were determined to have that crown. Back and forth the lead transferred from one team to another. In the end, as the clock wore down, it was a tie and they went into overtime.


The other team ended up winning the game, and sure it was a disappointment, but that day there really were no losers; it just ended up with one team having more points. It was the photo that was captured... with one team jumping with excitement, and the other on their knees with hands covering their eyes, that proved to me, this is more than a sport, it’s a brotherhood (or sisterhood). That was the moment I knew what the best of the best photographers have done for years…shoot for the moment, it speaks volumes.


The photo above was taken this past season. As one player knelt down, his teammate  let him know, “I have your back.” What really brought it all together, and I didn’t notice it until I looked at the photo when I got home, was the word, “Glory” in the distance—-for a team, there is no greater "glory" than working together, it’s what makes it all worth it and when you are on the sidelines, taking pictures, the very reason I do it.


Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment