Search This Blog

Friday, January 6, 2023

If I only knew back then.

 



I’ve got sand in my shoes,

And I can’t shake the thought of you,

I should get on, forget you,

But why would I want to?

I’ve still got sand in my shoes.


When I was in 7th grade, my first week or two of junior high as we called it back then, I saw my first pair of Puma tennis shoes, Where I grew up, we referred to them as “tennis shoes” not, athletic, basketball, sneakers, or anything else…they were “tennis shoes” whether you  stepped on the court or not?


When I saw these white shoes with a black upside down wing, I knew instantly what were gracing my feet were not going to do. I went from, “Who cares?” to “I need a pair!” The only problem was, I could not afford them. They were after all $19 and of what I recall my parents, and I can’t blame them said, “No.”


As I went back day after day, I would look at these shoes that were on someone else’s feet; then I saw other pairs on other feet, and it became an obsession. How was I going to ever be part of the cool kids without a pair of Puma’s? So, after countless conversations and creative begging, I convinced my parents that the investment was worth it.


We went to the store, and soon those shoes were on my feet; I was complete. Back then, it was not cool to wear white socks or even black socks with shoes, so we often went sockless. 


Then the problems started. The shoes had little lining and would rub my feet to the point where blisters began to form. When I brought it up to my parents they had little empathy. Check that, they had no empathy…this was my problem and I was going to have to deal with it. Many Band-Aids later, the blisters got better,  but never did I complain about my shoes again.


That is until I needed a new pair, as my beloved Puma’s wore out. At that point, Puma had fallen out of favor and Adidas was now “the” brand to wear. Problem was, they were even more expensive. But again, with creative pleading, my first pair of Adidas Superstars soon were on my feet and part of my attempt of fitting in. The best part of what I recall, they had padding and no blisters. The factual part, I was far from cool.


Since those days I have had countless pairs of “tennis shoes” and I still wear them today. However, I have learned that cool is not necessarily wearing white shoes, I  have had multiple colors over the years. My daughter bought me a pair of black shoes for my birthday last year. They certainly don’t show the dirt.


The photo above was taken recently of a pair of shoes I have, but rarely wear; whereas they are comfortable, they are seen frequently on the feet of older men. Combined with a pair of Cargo shorts, they are pretty much the go to. Okay, confession, I have ditched the shoes, but still love my shorts! Sue me.


Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment