Search This Blog

Sunday, June 12, 2011

The Moment.



"Got my face pushed up against the nursery glass,
she's sleeping like a rock,
my name on her wrist,
wearing tiny pink socks,
she's got my nose,
she's got her Mama's eyes,
my brand new baby girl,
she's a miracle,
I Saw God Today."


These lyrics are from one of George Strait's albums, "Troubadour." Whether or not you are a country music fan, the words that he sings hit a real chord with me---one that I never saw myself enjoying when I was younger and a die hard rock n' roll fan. 


I remember many many years ago when my Mom had a country music station pre-set into her car radio and I thought, "this must be a mistake." I think it was---the next time I was in her car it was no longer there. My first time really listening to country music was in the early 1990's---the song was by Randy Travis of what I recall. It happened in a cab in Chicago. Go figure.


What I found so appealing about country music were the words; unlike rock n' roll or other music formats, it kind of talks to me. I have listened long and hard to lyrics about "living like you were dying," "Who's that Man," and hundreds of other songs that are really etched upon my mind. For some crazy reason, they touch my soul. I know it's sappy, but for me it's true.


What spurred today's "Snap. Shot." was what I heard on the radio the other day. Very similar to myself, it told of the story of a man who was driving down the highway and heard the song, "I Saw God Today." A die hard rocker, he mistakenly had hit the search button his radio. He heard the song and for some reason didn't switch the station. Having become a Dad for the first time recently, he was stunned to hear the words that made so much for who he was now. A new Dad with a new daughter in his life. I totally got it.


What really got to me was the man heard this song while he was driving down Highway 55 from Chicago to Bloomington, IL---I also learned he lived in one of the Chicago suburbs; this was on a nationally syndicated radio show that plays on our country music station each weekend. What hit me was...he is from the community where I live---Glen Ellyn, IL. I knew there was a reason I had tuned in yesterday.


The photo above has been in "Snap. Shot." before. About 3 years ago, my daughters and I were at the Brookfield Zoo when a mother giraffe and her calf were in a confined area due to extreme cold at the zoo. I watched them for several minutes---also making sure my daughters were okay---and the mother  giraffe came up and nuzzled with her son. I missed the shot completely. I just thought, "That would have been a great photo." A moment later, like she felt my disappointment, she went and did it again---I didn't miss it this time. Whereas I would not say I saw God that Day, I did see a magical moment.


Thanks for stopping by.



No comments:

Post a Comment