Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Mothers and Daughters.



I have never been either one of the above, but I do know something about them. I know that Mothers are irreplaceable in the eyes of their kids and daughters can be wonderful and challenging at the same time.

When I tell people I have 5 “females” in our home, they consistently give me a look of---“Oh man.” Funny, when you hear of someone having only boys, or a mix, the look is a lot different. I suspect being the only male in our household, it conjures up a number of thoughts---he doesn’t stand a chance to I am sure he is the focal point in the household. Both are correct. But when it comes to being a focal point it’s more along the lines of walking a very narrow rope because I am the male and what do I know anyway?

Don’t worry about me---I am doing fine.

This summer is going to be an interesting one; as the girls grow up, they are discovering much more about themselves and are asking, rather demanding, the “freedom” the one before them had had. It might be going out after 9 PM, staying up later, or even something as simple as going to the pool and playing with friends without Mom or Dad hovering near by.  We do watch them very carefully, but there are also dozens of lifeguards at the pool---for us, it’s kind of nice but we would never  let them know.

I remember when I was a kid I wanted everything my kids are now asking for; the only difference---now there are so many more options available to occupy their time.  Summer in St. Louis was all about being out of doors, at the pool or on our bikes racing through the neighborhood. It was a time I not only treasured, but yearned for as summer dissolved into fall and fall into winter.

Mothers and daughters have a very special bond---one that is very difficult to understand when you are a guy. I should know--- but I also know that as a father I play a role in their life that is different but very important. This is something I would never exchange no matter how many times I have to hear the yelling in our household about clothes being worn, not being ready to leave, and countless other reasons I don’t always understand.

The photo above was taken in North Carolina a few years back. Our youngest was having a moment of need with her Mom. Like a great Mom she came down to her level and let her know she was there to answer any question she had. Being a Mother and daughter---something I will never fully understand.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment