Search This Blog

Friday, June 24, 2011

Following in the footsteps of the masters.




If you have yet to figure it out, I like to take pictures. Not just snapshots, but photos---I am sure I have not let on to anything that will surprise you.

A few weeks ago, we had some friends over and I learned their 18-year-old daughter was a serious dancer; serious meaning she is going to be pursuing it in college. When I heard this, and that she was into ballet, I had to ask if I could photograph her. Not necessarily when she is dancing, but stretching and preparing to dance. Catching them in a time when they are focusing on their performance, and in a different world, are the moments I wanted to capture on my trusty Nikon.

It turns out her performance was at 10AM last Saturday and she was going to be "preparing" from 9 to 10. Of course, and you have to know our family, we were running late. I was getting antsy but did my best to try and hide it from our girls; that was about as likely as us having a snowstorm and not knowing it had happened. When I want to photograph, I want to be in control. Ha.

As we arrived at the school I was a little surprised to see a number of young and older girls walking in---many of them were in costume so I suspected they were going to be dancing as well. I was disappointed as I was not sure this would be what I was expecting; it turns out it was combination of what I was hoping for and what I had thought when we got out of the car. I had this vision of shooting a photo like some of the best photographers have in the past but then all of the younger dancers made me think maybe this was not what I thought it was going to be. I was fairly sure I would not get the shot.

Why?

When we walked into the area where you buy tickets we were told there were no cameras allowed. I could not believe it. I said, “I don’t use a flash.” That usually works but was told, "Sorry it doesn’t matter." Fortunately I was not the only person who was determined to photograph the performance as there were flashes going off for the next one and a half hours.

The photo above was taken about 15 minutes before the curtain call; I knew what I wanted to capture and had to give a little bit of instruction---whatever I asked for she did.  What I love about this photo is the preparation she is going through---and the post in the front of the photo. For once I can say, this was the photo I wanted---and luckily got it. I may never be one of the masters, but as far as what happened last Saturday, I can now walk behind them knowing I have finally shot ballet.

Thanks for stopping by.


No comments:

Post a Comment