Search This Blog

Monday, July 11, 2011

America’s Pastime.




I grew up in a town that is crazy about baseball. There are many cities that fall into this way of thinking, however, few are the same size as St. Louis, MO.  However, there are some clouds over the “Gateway to the Midwest” and they appear to be potentially ominous. 

Two of the Cardinals key players are going to be free agents after this season---that always makes for a level of nervousness that doesn’t always sit well with the fans. Just ask Cleveland about Lebron James decision to “take his talents to South Beach.”

But today’s “Snap. Shot.’ is not about free agency, negotiations, or the perceived over priced status of most athletes we hear about. Nope, today were talking about the other side of the coin.

This last Thursday I was in Milwaukee on business. Because I didn’t have a dinner (I ate so don’t worry about me) I decided to go to the baseball game between the Milwaukee Brewers and Cincinnati Reds. My seat was in the first row, right field, in the bleachers. I picked this seat with the desire to potentially get a few good photos.

I did get a few interesting photos, but what I captured was much more than a picture. I was able to understand more about the players who, although young and very talented, are still human beings and in many instances fathers like me. How did I experience this? I was right above the Reds bullpen--a location I had never sat in before.

Before the start of the game most of the fans in the first row were sitting in awe as the ball zipped, during warm ups, from the hand of the pitcher to the waiting glove of the catcher. It did not take long to arrive from one location to another by the way. The sound of the ball hitting the glove was heard at least 7 rows up…it was that loud.

After the game started something kind of amazing took place. With many of the fans in attendance holding on to young children, the players waved and let them know they knew they were there and were happy they had come to the game. It’s ironic because last Thursday night in Texas, a fan died trying to catch a ball for his son---I am really happy this didn't happen in Milwaukee. (I can't imagine the pain the wife and the player who tossed the ball are going through at this time.) 

What's interesting is, when they tossed the ball upward they let every adult know this ball was not for them, it was for the young people in the crowd; the future fan that needs to carry on the tradition. How impressed was I? I sent an e-mail to the Cincinnati Reds front office. Within an hour I had a response. Not a canned one, a real one that reinforced the pride the team has in their  “boys of summer.” I was impressed.

The photo above was taken at the game. A young Mom with her child was probably 20 feet above the bullpen. The pitcher below made sure that she (the child) had a signed ball. It took several times for the ball to get up there---it hit the railing a few times---but it was obvious he was committed to giving this very young child a ball. Of course, the woman was attractive, and I am sure that did help him decide to give up a ball, but in the end, he made the decision to spend time with the fans---ones that were not even in his home ballpark. That’s what makes America’s pastime an ideal way to spend a few hours at the ol’ ball game.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment