Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

The other side of America.




These are not easy times.  Yes, we are supposedly out of the prolonged recession but just ask the millions of Americans who are struggling to eat and live; I suspect they would have a different point of view of America today.

In Chicago, and many other cities around the country (and the world), you see many signs of people who are struggling. For some it’s being so poor they don’t have a roof over their head or it can be equally as challenging for many people who struggle to keep their pride (and families together) during what has been the worst economic situation I hope I will ever see in my lifetime. If there is one that is worse on the horizon, I hope it misses us because it is not welcome.

If you have been following the news, you are aware of the problems in Washington right now regarding the spending cap. Many of us have spending caps, but for us it has to do with how much credit we have on our cards or in our checking account if you happen to use a debit card. I am all cash now as I have learned very valuable lessons about credit cards.

What’s amazing about what’s happening in D.C. is the enormous dollar levels trying to be reduced.  I would assume for most of us, there is little way we could ever imagine how many dollars make up a trillion. Now multiply that image by 14.3 and you have our deficit. Wow. The House and Senate are trying to find ways to cut $4 Trillion from the budget---maybe it’s me, but I would have to believe there are ways to do it. I mean, they will still have $10 trillion to worry about---not as bad as $14.3 trillion however! What a relief that will be.

This past weekend, while I was at my brother’s home, we were discussing two completely different ways of living. My brother is involved in real estate and he works in finding property for a chain of stores that cater to the lower middle class. They have seen their business skyrocket since the recession took hold. A moment later, we were talking about an old business partner of his who was “forced” to move from a home that was approximately 15,000 square feet to one that cost $2 million to purchase. (I don’t know how big it is, but in St. Louis I would think it’s a pretty decent home---sure hope so.)

All in one conversation---people who are struggling to buy whatever they can to someone who had to downsize to a home that is probably larger than I can imagine. I was in his 15,000 square foot home one time, let’s say I have been in smaller hotels.

The photo above was taken on July 1, 2011. Every year, the Wrigley Building in Chicago hangs a flag that’s nine stories high. I believe that would be about 90 feet. It’s big, it’s beautiful, and it makes for a great photo. As I walked up to take the picture, I noticed this man who had a hole in his hat and a cup in his hand. I took the picture because it felt right to depict the times we live in; maybe it wasn’t right but then again, I have always believed a picture tells a story---this is one I believe needed to be told.

Thanks for stopping by.



No comments:

Post a Comment