Search This Blog

Saturday, July 30, 2011

Waiting for the soldiers to return.




These are challenging times here in the U.S. As much as we try to focus on the future, we are often reminded of what’s going on or as some like to say, looking at the bigger picture, here and in other parts of the world. Right now, and I really hope this becomes an issue that does not become a reality we are on the verge of seeing our country go into default.

Whereas I am not smart enough to truly understand all, or even some of the dynamics, I do know, we as a country are in a spot we really don’t want to be in; I would have to assume the last time we were here was back in 1929 when the Great Depression smacked us around for more than a decade. I assume that was much worse than what is staring us in the face right now--at least I sure hope so.

But this situation appears to be different---there are a handful of individuals who may not be representing the citizens of the United States the way they promised they would when they were elected. I know this is going to seem hard to believe, but the politicians are actually more concerned---or so it appears---in their own political ambitions. I know, it’s really hard to believe---please forgive me.

So that’s the edge we stand on right now…there’s a very good likelihood we will get past these times and eventually see our economy flourish once more, but in the meantime, there will be those who may not be able to pay their bills and/or receive the help that they need at this time.

I certainly understand, all too well, the help that is needed by the unemployed, disabled and elderly---but I have read, and I hope it’s not true, that our soldiers may not be paid until Congress and the Senate decide that they have a plan that truly represents the people. Those that voted for them the last time they ran for office.

How troubling is that? These men and women are across the globe, risking their lives, and now they stand to risk not being able to provide for the family that await their safe return. To me this is a reason why every politician should be voted out of office. No matter what party they are in, how they voted on a particular issue, and/or stood for what they felt was right; I can honestly say, if I were in politics right now, I would feel very good about taking a flight out of Washington and never returning.  If for no other reason because they know they no longer represent the people who depend on them---and pay them for their service. (I suspect they will continue to be paid even if the country defaults.)

The photo above is one I have always liked; with flowers, boots and a blue-sky overhead, I see this as the way we want  to live---yet we now see there are clouds on the horizon and they don’t appear to be very friendly. I really hope those who are elected have listened to the people---because the people have listened to them and come the next time to vote they might see it has turned into a very bad connection.

Thanks for stopping by.



No comments:

Post a Comment