Search This Blog

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Discovery.



“Little miss done on love
Little miss, I give up
Little miss, I'll get tough,
Don't you worry about me anymore
Little miss checkered dress
Little miss, one big mess
Little miss, I'll take less
When I always give so much more.”

Sometimes we have to find who we are; not who other people feel we should be, but who we deep inside really are as a person. It happens to women, it happens to men—it’s when you discover the life that awaits you, and not for those who want you to be a certain way, but for who you are at this time.  That’s when you really discover what, and who, you were meant to be.

Discovery happens in many different ways; you suddenly find a feeling or thought deep within your soul and you want to find out why it lurks. Sometimes it’s nothing more than an “I wonder if I could? Or would people think I was crazy? Or just a simple, is it right for me?” One of the best things we all have is choice; we can do what we want, provided of course it’s not illegal or hurtful in a way that can never be repaired. But even situations that are questioned, such as wanting to be more independent, these in the long run, are better for everyone.

Why?

Because we have the opportunity to branch out, play adult, and come home when we want and show what we have done to our family, friends, and even strangers.

Of no great shock for me it’s photography; when I first decided I liked to take pictures, it was very intimidating. Just going to the camera store (they still have those by the way) was somewhat overwhelming for me. These were the experts who knew everything about a camera and had most of the answers I still often times don’t understand. Cameras require reading manuals and I am not a manual kind of guy. But I can take photos.

But then as I became more comfortable---having branched out---I knew it was okay to fall in love, to understand the passion of why people “schlep” their cameras with them wherever they go. It’s when you have to make a stand with how far you want this to go, like anything in life, when you are forced to carve out time for you; because it’s no longer just a passion, it’s part of who you are. How cool is that? That’s discovery.

The best part of finding more about ourselves is how it broadens us; makes us more interesting, something new to talk about, something that opens our eyes whether there is interest on the receiving end or not. Hopefully there is---but not always. Luckily there is on my end.

The photo above was taken a few years ago at the Ringling Bros circus. As she hangs literally by a thread this is a metaphor of life; we have to find out who we are before we can really be whole. I look at this woman and think one of two things: either she is ready to give up, or this is her passion and she is one of the best. I like to think she is in love what she is doing. (I sure hope so.)

Thanks for stopping by.



No comments:

Post a Comment