Search This Blog

Friday, July 29, 2011

Remember When.



"Remember when thirty seemed so old
Now lookn' back it's just a steppin' stone
To where we are,
Where we've been
Said we'd do it all again
Remember when."


The funny thing about getting older, is the older we get the younger we seem to think we are---and the way we act shows we are fearful of getting older.  It’s okay, I just don’t want to get there too soon and what choice do we really have?

One thing I realize every time I go into a meeting, a store, or am called, “Sir or Mister,” is that I am no longer a kid, a guy, or someone who is called anything that I used to hear when I was younger. I am fine with it…but I refuse to wear Abercrombie clothing, sleeveless shirts or God forbid go shirtless. I would more than hear about that, and can’t blame anyone for getting sick to their stomach after seeing me walk around. (I do wear shorts though!)

Probably one of the most revolting sights is when I have gone to our local swimming  pool and have seen older men, and I mean older men, in Speedo’s. There is actually one guy who wears a Speedo that is so tight well you get the visual.  But as bad as this is, I have seen men in other countries wear thongs---needless to say it’s not pretty.

So why are we so concerned about getting older?

There is so much that has been gained by our experiences that make us who we are; it might be as simple as having been a parent and having the ability to apply that learning to grandkids (no I am not a grandfather)---or even with young parents who have babies and/or very young children. It’s great for photography because one thing about kids, they don’t scare me.

I really do believe life is a “stepping stone.” Without the experiences we have learned, it would be just like the movie “Groundhog Day” where the same day occurs over and over again; I really am not sure I want to relive the days I have lived before. Okay there are a few that would be kind of fun to do over, but all in all life does have many good times ahead. It had better.

The photo above is of my neighbor’s 6-week-old granddaughter. Cradled in her grandfather’s arms, she knows she is safe, secure and although very young, has so much to look forward to as she travels through life. As for me, it reassures that when you have the chance to do it all again, and hold a young child in your arms, you can hand them back to their parents.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment