Search This Blog

Sunday, July 17, 2011

Hmmm…tastes like chicken.




The other day some of us were talking about the strangest foods we had ever consumed.  There were some really odd ones that would never cross my lips, and there were some that I had actually eaten---once. We are talking well beyond beef, fish or pork here so if you think you are going to get grossed out, I would suggest coming back tomorrow.

One of the guys travels to Asia off and on and was describing some of the availabilities found in markets. I asked him did he really ever eat dog? He said, “Yes and it was not as bad as I thought it was going to be.” I guess the pup had just been bathed or something. He went on to tell me he has been offered rat (he passed) and various types of fish that not only did I not have any idea what they were, but it sounded like it would be something I would pass on.

Others talked about eating Vietnamese, various parts of the cow that I am sure you know what I am talking about, and real Indian food. Well, I know one thing about Indian food and it’s that I don’t like it. The sauces, in combination with the texture  of the meat and spices, leave me looking at the door and wishing it was closing behind me. A few of us had had alligator (I have had it) buffalo, and one guy had lion.  I didn’t even know you could consume lion---I always thought it was vice-versa.

Many years ago, when my Mom met my wife for the first time, I learned of my mother’s culinary likes and dislikes. We still talk about this story every time we order calamari. We were at a restaurant and when ordering appetizers, the question came up, “Would anyone like to get calamari?” We eat them sometimes and once you get over the way they look, it’s really not bad…in fact, they’re good.

Well, my Mom must have either never had calamari, or had it once and it did not bring up fond memories. Right after the question, as she was drinking some water, she sprayed it all over. Just like one of the comedy scenes when people spray their water after hearing something funny or disbelieving. Needless to say, since it was the first meeting of the two women in my life, we passed on it. It is still a memory of my Mom I will never forget.

The photo above is of one of one of our daughters; of course her ice cream cone does not taste like chicken, but there is something about biting into something you don’t know that makes you stop and wonder---“Why am I eating this?” For me, the next time I am served alligator, I think I will eat it again, because it really does taste like chicken it just doesn't cluck.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment