Search This Blog

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Long road home.




“You leave home
 and you move on
 and you do the best you can.

I got lost in this old world
 and forgot who I am.”

It’s probably this time of year when the memories of growing up flood forward. It was summer, we were free for more than 2 months---sometimes three---and so much happened during that time that are still etched upon my mind.

Of course we can never really travel physically back in time, but the mind is a very powerful machine that let’s us travel anywhere we want; without a charge for baggage, food or a seat upgrade. For some they feel it’s a secret world, for others it’s an opportunity reminisce on what was.

In the 18 years I spent at home before leaving for college, everyday seemed to be a blur when it was happening. Life, for me, really did reflect the “Wonder Years;” I had friends who I hung out with every day. I hung on practically every word they said, and they did the same---we learned from each other, we grew up, we trusted. It was what life was all about. We didn’t have the opportunity to reach across the world, state or even to the next town, to meet people we may have never had the chance to meet in person.

Since I began writing “Snap.Shot.” I have had the chance to take the “way back mental machine” wherever I care to travel. I don’t have to tell anyone, or I can write about it and let the entire “small readership” world of this blog know what it was like so many years ago. But the “long road home,” the trip many of us take often, is something I believe is very healthy to keep balance. I am some one who tends to look forward, but sometimes the road back is just what I need for that day, moment, or situation.

For many years after college, and when I entered the “real world,” I became lost---I needed to find who I really was…and as crazy as it seems, one of the most important roads I took was the road with the Nikon street sign. Photography has allowed me to capture something physical---okay digital---and whenever I need to travel back, whether it’s a day, month or a year, I have found the road back home. I am so lucky.

The photo above was taken last weekend; for me, it’s a bridge, road, or step back in time. Sure the colors are vibrant, it’s summertime; but whether it’s winter, spring, summer or fall, I know whenever I need to take a trip back to the place I need to re-visit it’s there waiting for me.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment