Search This Blog

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Daughters.




“That's my daughter in the water,
who'd have ever thought her?
Who'd have ever thought?
That's my daughter in the water,
I lost every time I fought her
Yea, I lost every time.”

If anyone is familiar with females, it’s me. It’s not that I understand them, I am just familiar with my being completely different from the way they are. In other words, what is going on in their heads that’s not going on in mine? That would be plenty.

From the moment they come into our lives, whether it’s birth, blending of families, or dating/marriage, it’s obvious (at least to me) that there is a reason why we guys are confused. Because of the make up of our family, I see many things in our home that let me know I am the minority. From the magazines they read, to the TV shows they watch, to the Facebook chatter I am not supposed to be a part of---looking at life from the other side is always an awakening for me.

When I was growing up I had no idea these thoughts were going on in their heads; no idea they would have the guts to make the comments they do to boys who are so intimidated and so much less physically mature---and I guess mentally as well---that it’s no wonder they have us where they want us.  As I hear often, “girls rule and boys drool.” I try to counteract it, but am always given “the look.” It's the one where it's obvious I am not going to win with any return comment.

It’s the look that also makes us wilt; it’s the look of needing us when they want something they know they can have by simply “wrapping us around any one of 8 fingers and 2 thumbs.” With 5 daughters in my life it’s understandable why when I want to do something it’s a negotiation. Yesterday I did win (honest) as I wanted to see one movie of which the rest did not---or was not appropriate for them to see. So I showed them…I saw that darn movie. They didn’t, I did. They went to see the movie they wanted to see—I think they liked theirs much more than I liked mine. Darn.

For the rest of my life I am going to do what I can to understand women and girls; I am reasonably sure I will never fully understand why they don’t have to pick up towels, must take 30 minute showers, or let us know that what we think is cool is anything but that. But should I pick up some insight that is truly monumental, I will share it with the other guys. I am sure they will be grateful for my bringing such insight to them---and they will still remain as confused as possible.

The photo above is of our 14-year-old daughter; she is not my biological daughter but you would never know. The way she has me wrapped around her “right” finger, it’s understandable why there is nothing “left” for me when it comes to hot water in the shower and much more.

Thanks for stopping by.






No comments:

Post a Comment