Search This Blog

Thursday, May 17, 2012

Life behind the lens.




"Kodachrome
They give us those nice bright colors
They give us the greens of summers
Makes you think all the world's
a sunny day
I got a Nikon camera
I love to take a photograph
So mama don't take my Kodachrome away."


As we enter the season where cameras start coming out of their dusty homes, I get questions about shooting outdoor events. The other day I was walking with a neighbor who asked me about his camera and why certain lenses didn’t work on it. I don’t know a lot about cameras, just Nikons, but I did know the answer right when he was asking it. His response, “I read it on line but didn’t believe it…I guess it is true.” It is, was, and will continue to be; it was one of the ways Nikon tried to offer a low-cost camera and the consumer paid for it.

It was about 10 years ago when the camera bug took a big bite out of me. I had dabbled for many years, but once I started taking more pictures I couldn’t stop. I took pictures of everything; yes I even took a picture of someone taking a picture of me at the same time, water pitchers and exit signs.

Probably the most interesting times began to evolve when I began to wonder, “Could I actually get someone to buy a photo?” Early on the answer was, “No” and it continued for a long time. 

Then it happened, someone actually paid for a photo I had taken. Not a lot, but enough to cover the cost. I didn’t care---I was totally hooked on becoming an even better photographer. Then I began to really test myself.  I asked myself, “What do the pros do? What made them pros?” I am still working on the answer, but I have been able to understand a little bit more.

One point of differentiation has to do with finding a way to see the world differently through a lens.

One of the best purchases I made was a book featuring photographers who shoot for Sports Illustrated. What they did was what I wanted to do; they just do it a lot better. They found moments that captured an interaction between a coach and a player, stood away from the other photographers when they shot, and lastly---remembered that no matter how hard they prepared, if the player didn’t catch the ball, slap the puck, or do whatever they have spent years doing, you miss the photo. I think about it every time I shoot.

Probably the biggest impression left upon me were the angles they shot from; it could be below the player on the ground shooting upward, above them, sideways, or just about anything--- but rarely straight on. The results…well, that’s why they shoot for Sports Illustrated.

The photo above was taken recently at my daughter’s soccer game. Most people would think something was wrong with the photo as it is heavily slanted; but to me it has an edge, a feeling of movement, and something that just makes me want to take more like it. Would any parent ever want to buy it? No, and one reason is…it’s not for sale. I give all of the photos I take to the team families; as I see it, as long as I don’t have to coach, I am well ahead of the game.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment