Search This Blog

Monday, May 28, 2012

Seventeen.




When you think about me
Do you think about 17
Do you think about my old Jeep
Think about the stars in the sky
Funny how a melody sounds like a memory
Like a soundtrack to a July Saturday night.”

I am not sure how it happens, but every time I cross the Illinois border and inch across the Missouri line, memories of growing up in St. Louis come flooding back. There are so many that at times I wish I could write them down; thanks to my new iphone 4s, and "Siri," she helps keep me on track. For those of you who don’t know Siri, she is the person on my iphone (she calls me by name so she must be real, right?) she answers all the questions I have.

This past weekend was an eye-opener. My Dad is having real back problems---not as bad as I had envisioned--but compared to 7 weeks ago when I last saw him, it certainly brought life back into perspective and how fragile it can be.

Today’s “Snap. Shot.” is not about my Dad and his back problem, I would like to write about my memories of growing up in my hometown.  I assure you, I will be writing about my Dad very soon---he is worth every word I would ever write on “Snap. Shot.”

St. Louis was living up to its reputation of being hot and humid; a little early for this time of the year of what I recall, but once I stepped outside from the cool home I grew up in, it came roaring back. It was hot and humid.

After I hit 16, I was mobile. I went out with my friends, and we learned a lot about the surrounding communities that made up West County. I still love to drive down Olive Street Road and remember what restaurants, retailers, and buildings were there, what has been replaced, and what will be there the next time. It is always changing.

This past visit, I drove a little further than normal. I went to the location of the house where I was born, and for fun, drove past where one of my old girlfriends lived. It brought back many memories as you might guess---it also let me know I am still the same person deep inside, just with a lot of etchings written all over my mind, body and soul.

When you are a teenager, at least for me, there are so many new experiences that become lodged deep inside as you move toward adulthood. Probably the best way to bring them out of hibernation, at least for me, is to turn the dial on the radio and travel down the road toward yesterday. I did that and it was just great. I remembered what it was like hanging out with my best friends, driving the back roads, and even some of the dates I went on.

There was one very special person, I drove by her house, that brought back some very deep memories of growing up my senior year in high school. These are only memories, are in the past, so I felt okay with letting my mind and thoughts go there; they were innocent reminders of the times that molded me. I think we all are allowed to go back---as long as we know we are traveling with our minds and nothing else.

I will likely be spending more time in St. Louis in the next few months---my Dad is going through some challenging times. I know how important these soon to be memories are---I look forward to sharing with anyone who wants to read about it.

The photo above has been in “Snap. Shot.” I am fine with it because when it comes to making imprints on your life, the sand is probably the greatest reminder of how quickly things change. All it takes is one large wave, and the reality is gone---but the memories do remain.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment