Search This Blog

Monday, May 14, 2012

Mom(s).



"She was staring out that window, of that SUV
Complaining, saying I can't wait to turn 18
She said I'll make my own money, and I'll make my own rules
Mamma put the car in park out there in front of the school
Then she kissed her head and said I was just like you."

Being a Mom, or a Dad, has its good and bad moments; we are rarely seen as being correct in the eyes of our children, but we really do our best. I am told they figure out our level of intelligence when they become Mom's and Dad's. 

My wife has heard it all from our kids; she has heard about love, heartbreak, not understanding how they really feel and much more---somehow when it all comes together, she understands and empathizes. She is much better than I am when it comes to keeping her composure---much better. She was born to be a Mom, in fact she is excellent at it. if you have ever seen our daughters, you can also see her genes have taken a real foothold on their looks and actions. It's only our youngest who has dark hair and eyes who only looks different, but I suspect one day she will color her hair red and wear blue contacts and be just like the rest of them. 

I have been lucky to have known very good women who have taken on the role of Mom; yes my wife is very good, and my Mom---well she was not too shabby either. I remember many times when I would talk to my Mom about difficult topics and she not only understood, she gave really good advice. I will never forget when I was in my late teens, a girlfriend and I had broken up. Although it was mutual, it really wasn't, I tried to act like I was okay; actually, my heart was more than dented, it was punctured and bleeding. My Mom took me aside, I will never forget, and said..."Mark, you will be fine--it will hurt for some time, but you will know in the end that all will work its way out." I still treasure that conversation---even today.

Whereas I am not a Mom, you can be sure of that, I did have to take on the parental role my Mom taught me all those years ago just today. One of my daughters broke up with her boyfriend; I would face certain expulsion if I let on why it happened, but I can say she really acted as an adult. I was really proud. She said she was really in pain, and I said, "If you cared as much as you did about him, you should be in pain. But you will find in the end, the pain will go away, you will grow, and one day you will look back and be very proud of the difficult decision you made."

As a Dad we do try, but there's a reason why Mother's Day became a national holiday more than 55 years before Father's Day. I have thought a lot about my Mom today, and I am sure I am not alone, we miss her very much. I am really very fortunate to have been influenced by wonderful women in my life. I better accept it, I have many of them to deal with in the future! (Dad, in June, you will be the main topic. Promise.)

The photo above was taken at the last game of the Chicago Bull's regular season. It must have been a sign as the game was in late April and the Bulls would not be playing on Mother's Day as they were eliminated from the playoffs in the first round.

Thanks for stopping by.








No comments:

Post a Comment