Search This Blog

Monday, February 4, 2013

Jump.



"Ah, I might as well jump. Jump! 
Might as well jump. 
Go ahead, jump. Jump! 
Go ahead, jump."

There are times when you just feel like risking it all; it might be going after that job you know is way over your head to asking out that person who you know will likely say..."umm, I don't think so..." to going to Vegas and putting more than you know you can afford on red. 

You only live once so you might as well "jump."

I would not be seen as one who is a huge risk taker; sure there are some things I do that would be seen as a bit of living on the edge, but in general the likelihood of my putting it all on the line in Vegas is not going to happen. However if it were to be something that I was passionate about, I might even surprise myself. For some reason, and I don't know what gets into me, I have little fear about talking with people; if I know them it's easy, if I don't, it's about the same as if I do. This is not something I have always done, I would say it started when I turned 40 or so. I think.

Actually, a lot has to do with photography. I don't know why, but when it comes to wanting that photo so bad I will do most anything to get it, I do some really nutty stuff. I have leaned out of windows from many floors up, laid down and watched football players come right at me as I kept on clicking, and probably the craziest thing, I have actually taken photos of other people's families.

That may not sound like much of a risk, but when people are paying you money to photograph their family at a special event or just in their homes, there really are only two options---either you get the photos and they are happy or they aren't. I have been on both sides and I can say it's a lot better when people are happy with your work.

Probably the worst photo session we had was actually at our home. It should have been easy. Just a couple of boys who were going to have their holiday photos taken. The parents said, "we might get in a couple of shots---we're not sure." Wrong. The family not only wanted to be in photos all together---they brought their dog without letting us know. Doesn't sound too bad? The father screamed and threatened his kids that if they didn't behave he was going to really let them have it...and the worst, one of the boys broke our back drop. When it was all said and done, they really didn't like the pictures and I vowed to never take their photos again. I still see the Dad---I just never ask about the pictures.

The photo above was taken at the Willis Tower last week. While I was up on the 103rd floor, I saw these two guys taking photos and lying on the ground on the "Ledge"---a glass cube that is attached to the face of the building. I went up and asked "if they would jump" and I would send the picture to them. They said, "sure." As I explained afterward, if anything had happened and the Ledge had broken loose and fallen the 1700 feet, it would have made for a once in a lifetime photo. Well that would have been a once in a lifetime photo for them as I would have probably continued to take pictures after I got home.

Thanks for stopping by.


No comments:

Post a Comment