Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Shadows.



"I'm Standing in the shadows of love
I'm gettin' ready for the heartaches to come
Hope to see you standing in the shadows of love
Tryin' my best to get ready for the heartaches to come."


We all want to shine in the sun during our lives, however there are times when we fall into the shadows. It's not a bad thing, it's just human nature. We can't always be on---if we are, we are in many ways just kidding ourselves because we need to "observe" as well as be the center of the world we live in. 

Maybe its me, but there are times when I just want to step out and be by myself. I was talking to a friend the other day and the question came up, "If you could take 48 hours and do what you wanted, what would you do?" I didn't know if this was a loaded question that would come back to haunt me, so I said, "You go first." That's bravery for you! 

After I learned he would like to go out and play as much golf as possible, I knew saying "spending time with the family and going to family gatherings and events" was not going to be believed. What I told him was, "I would like to go to the Southwest, yes the family can come, but I would like to take photos for at least 3 to 4 hours a day while I am there." Hey, even if I did take photos for 4 hours, there is still 20 hours left in the day. What's wrong with that?

Apparently plenty as his wife over heard our conversation. I figured I was in the clear---I was---because we both knew there was no way I was going to go shoot for 4 hours a day; it would be for 6 hours. Sue me I am being honest---my wife just laughed.

It's when we come out of the shadows that we need to be who we are; whether it's the role of a father, mother, boss, or whatever it might be---when we show our true selves, there is no more hiding.

The photo above was taken at my niece's wedding this past fall. Whereas my family was not impressed with the idea of taking a photo of our shadows, I knew there was something there. As a family we always allowed the sun to shine on all of us equally---unless we just needed to be alone in our rooms and then, just don't bother us because my brother did it!

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment