Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Too cool to be true.



"That used to be us, we used to be cool
With the music cranked up, hanging out after school
That used to be Jill, that used to be Joe
Tell me where in the world did we all go."

Something has happened. Just when we were sure we were as cool as we could be, suddenly the winds shifted and we were ice cold. It happens and when it does, you realize this is what reality is all about.

As we age, and we all do, the concept of being "cool" changes. When my daughters come home from school and talk about how so and so is "cool," I think about how when I was about their age I thought certain people were really cool and so much better than I was. Want to know how cool they are today? Look them up on Facebook, squeeze your index finger and thumb together as you look at their photo and watch the weight fall off their body or face; now you know how cool they are today. It's amazing. I have had to do this a number of times---but there have been other situations where I have had to squint or turn my laptop sideways because they have lost more than half their weight since high school or college. 

I am going to assume others go through the "wondering" what so and so looks like, what they are doing, and more?  If you have been to a reunion, or even seen someone in public you have not seen in say 30 years, I find it very difficult to go up to them and say, "You look just like you did when I last saw you." Pretty much the only way that will happen is if I saw them yesterday or at best the week before. 

However, I do have a fraternity brother, I am not very close with him but did see him on Facebook, and he has not aged. I have no idea how he does it, but unless he is photoshopping all of his photos, the guy has defied aging. Perhaps he has found the Fountain of Youth? 

Back to being cool.

The guys who I come in contact with who are for sure seen as cool are the football players at our local high school. Winning "State" has put them in a league of their own---but when I was talking with a friend the other day, and I heard his excitement about how cool these players were, I thought, "He must not realize these kids are going to be like us one day..." I am okay with it. Sort of.

The photo above is on the back of the minivan of a friend of ours. I knew when I saw this it was going to be in "Snap. Shot." There's nothing wrong with getting older and experiencing what life has to offer---but deep down, it is a good feeling when you are seen as "cool."  I guess.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment