Search This Blog

Saturday, July 12, 2014

7.22.54




I was once like you are now, and I know that it's not easy,
To be calm when you've found something going on.
But take your time, think a lot,
Why, think of everything you've got.
For you will still be here tomorrow, but your dreams may not.”

Let’s face it, when we’re growing up we look at dates in the future and think, “Wow that’s a long time from now…I‘ll be how old?” But then, suddenly, the day arrives and you wonder, “How the hell did it get here so quickly?” 

Sometimes it’s difficult to look forward, but it’s essential to look back and see what you have learned and gained from experiences. In my life, my entire 56 plus years, there have been two constants (excluding my folks).

One is my sister, the other my brother.

Today, we focus on the latter as it’s his birthday; I won’t tell you his age, but if you look at the subject of today’s “Snap. Shot.” it should be a give away.

My brother Gary has taught me a lot. He has always been someone who is very passionate about life and also very focused in making the most of it. Two very good traits that can make you either love him, or not love him as much. (I know him from both sides.) Not that I would say I didn’t “love him as much” as in the word “hate” (although I assure you growing up, I used the phrase more than once) it’s just as his brother he did place me in situations where I was not very happy and some times injured. More on that below.

Gary’s passions began at a very young age. He loves to work, loves to wear nice clothes and he is very, very passionate about his family.  I can understand the first and last, but the dressing up nice was always one that was out of my ability to understand. As a teen he wore double-breasted sport coats and at times, an ascot; I mean, really, who wears an ascot? Who, that would be my brother.

Probably my most memorable years with Gary were when we went on vacation in Florida, played hockey in our basement or outside the home, and of course…”Indian Ball” on our street. Don’t know what this is?


Of course there were many other memories we have had together…I was with Gary when he had his first accident and I believe second one. A woman named Rose Waxman, certainly no longer on this Earth to comment, pulled he car out in front of ours and boom. Luckily the only thing that was damaged was his driving record. It was my brother’s fault. The second one…well…I was not there for it, but sure remember my Dad’s reaction to it.

Or perhaps it was when he was in college and for some reason was receiving an inordinate amount of mail at his college fraternity.  There were records (this was long before CD’s), magazines, books and more---sent to Gary’s dog “Bacchus, Stella Ringading, and others.” He is fortunate that the Post Master General of the day is not reading this right now---he like Rose Waxman, are probably having a conversation about my brother in heaven.

But, there’s the other side of Gary that’s anything but a joker; he was there when my Mom was battling cancer, he is there with my Dad and takes care of huge responsibilities, and he is always there for those who are a part of who loves.

So what could he have done that was so horrible to his little brother?

Yes, Gary I do remember when you hit me in the head with a slapshot, laughed as I went and got the fireworks out of my room to hand to the officer,  and encouraged me to step on the ice of the pond near our home. Thankfully you did first and we know the rest of the story…I appreciate you taking the lead on that one.

The photo above is one I did not take. This is former St. Louis Blues player named, “Gary Unger.” As players in our own league, the Heather Ridge Drive Hockey League (HRDHL) we took on the names of our idols; as the premier goaltender on the block, I was  “Jacques Rosenplante,” and was accompanied by my big brother, who is celebrating a bigger birthday today, “Gary Ungerbaum.”

Happy birthday to you…and congrats on getting to this magical date before I did!

Thanks for stopping by.





No comments:

Post a Comment