Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Welcome to the future.






“Hey, look around it's all so clear
Hey, wherever we would go and when we
Hey, so many things I never thought I'd see
Happening right in front of me."

For everyone of us, there will always be a future. For some it comes very fast, for others it seems to drag on before it arrives. Regardless, it will be here and will take the exact amount of time before it makes its presence. (That, readers of “Snap. Shot.,” was as heavy as it gets in my world.)

More than 30 years ago, I had yet to become a Dad. I was married, we lived in the suburbs, but the pattering of footsteps had yet to be heard in our home. That changed in June of 1984. Yes, the same 1984 that George Orwell wrote about and when we experienced Live Aid. (I was holding my son when Freddy Mercury was mesmerizing the thousands who were performing a sea of waves---I remember it like it was yesterday.)

During those initial days of crying, pooping, crying and not sleeping—-no not me, my son---it seemed the future was very far away and if this was life, mine had changed the moment he roared into this world.

Move forward 30 years and here we are. Changes have taken place—-the internet, lap top computers, cell phones are common place and the Jetson’s really did predict the future. Well, the flying cars have yet to make their presence, but I suspect one day we will see them. I guess.

This past weekend, I saw the future in the form of a little boy who has grown up and is now a man holding his own son. Where did the time go? I have no idea.

Recently I saw a poll that asked people to comment on what they would like to experience most. "Knowing the future" was one of the options. I don’t recall the most popular answer, but it was not "Knowing the future." I thought…are you kidding me? I would love to travel 10 minutes in time and boy would I be living the dream. Just 10 minutes and I could help change the world. Not gonna happen---I believe time travel has yet to be accomplished.

However, just for fun, if I could see the future, I would do my best to make people aware of a potential tragedy which might be coming in their new future, a suggestion to the Bulls about which opposing player was going to step up and make a big shot, and I would make sure I told my family how much I loved them before something happened to me. We all don’t live forever—-it’s not a bad idea to be able to say “Adios” when it’s time to check out.

The photo above was taken a few weeks ago at Arlington Park racetrack outside of Chicago. What the viewer doesn’t know, and perhaps I should not mention this, I was lying on the track as the horses roared by. I was not worried about being stepped on, but I guess I could have controlled the outcome of the race had I spooked a horse. Knowing the power of the future, and what it would be like getting the crap knocked out of me by gamblers at the track, I decided not to fool with the future and made sure I remained quiet. Sure would have been nice to pick the winner however!


Thanks for stopping by

No comments:

Post a Comment