Search This Blog

Friday, July 11, 2014

Jersey’s for sale---cheap.



"I like slam dunks that take me to the hoop
My favorite play is the ally-oop
I like the pick-n-roll, I like the give-n-go
And it's basketball, Bow Wow, let's go." 

It seems like just yesterday when LeBron James made his epic quote, “I’m taking my talents to South Beach.”He did and it left a city well to the north wondering, “How could he do this?” It was a very good question. 

Move forward 4 years and suddenly the talents he took to South Beach have returned home; it took a lot of guts then, looks like they never left four years later.  The difference? We learned Cleveland is a very forgiving city! I am not sure Chicago would have responded the same way. 

Whereas I am probably not the only one who has been watching this situation unfold, it’s kind of amazing that he actually did it. I really used to wonder what the city of Cleveland was thinking when they said they would love to have him back on their team. It wasn’t like I didn’t believe their desire, it was more about the slim chance of it actually happening. I mean, come on, they were one of the worst teams in the NBA last year. Not as bad as other teams—Milwaukee and Philadelphia—but not much better---and they thought LeBron would come back? 

So why does this happen? How can one person, who can place a round ball inside of a hoop, receive this type of attention? He’s LeBron. 

But what real effect did this have on Cleveland and the basketball team that was left in the dust and then in one day rose from the darkness?  Okay, a bit extreme but you tell that to the city that burnt his jerseys, cursed his name, and slammed the door on his ever being welcome again. In two words…a billion dollars. Yes, today the franchise went from being valued at about $500 million to $1 Billion. 

When you multiply what’s about to happen in ticket, jersey and other related sales, what is a cheap jersey in one city, is now once again priceless in one far to the north.As a basketball fan, I could not be happier; I am not a fan of the Heat, but have always felt Cleveland, and its Cavaliers, were “acceptable” to root for---as long as they didn’t beat the Bulls. (That could change!) 

When I learned that Cleveland was in the running for the “King” to return, I sent an e-mail to a client who was, like the rest of her city, very disappointed, hurt and deeply upset, when his“ talents were taken to South Beach” in 2010. I contacted her again today and it certainly appeared “Christmas arrived in July.” I am sure they now realize the days of number 1 draft picks are behind them---I am sure they are willing to give those up. 

The photo above was taken in Milwaukee last year. “The King” was holding court and the Bucks were about to get trounced. Now a little more than a year later, the Heat has found out what it feels like when talents shift from one city to another. Enjoy the NBA draft next year South Beach...should be fun! 

Thanks for stopping by.  

1 comment:

  1. Wow! What an eye opener this post has been for me. Very much appreciated, bookmarked, I can’t wait for more! cheap jerseys

    ReplyDelete