Search This Blog

Friday, July 18, 2014

Rude.



"Can I have your daughter for the rest of my life? 
Say yes, say yes, Cause I need to know
You say I'll never get your blessing till the day I die
Tough luck my friend but the answer is no!"

I have many friends who have daughters. Many of those daughters have boyfriends. One day, it is likely we as fathers will have to go through the question, if the boyfriend has the decency to ask, "May I have your daughter's hand in marriage?" Or at least something like that.

What will we Dad's say? It all depends on how good of a job we as parents have done in preparing our daughters as to who should be brought to the door.

So far I have had three of our daughters date. So far, no boyfriend has asked the question to me. But I am very certain, all three will one day walk down the alter; I am just hoping they make the right choice, because if they don't, they will likely have a conversation with my wife and I about their choice. 

It's not like I was anyone special to bring home to the family. I have done it twice, have a perfect record of acceptance, but each time I am sure their Fathers  were wondering..."Is this guy going to treat my daughter the way I want him too?" I am also sure there just might have been mixed reviews. Who knows?

Being a Dad is a really tough role. It's not like being a Mom is any easier, I will never know, but there's something about knowing that when I was this guy's age, what was going through my mind. I don't like that. At all.

The boys my daughters have brought home all in all have been pretty good kids; make note, they were not in a position or age to take on the responsibility of being a Husband, Dad, or even someone who would love my daughter for life---they were kids.

Recently a Dad wrote a song in rebut to the lyrics above. A friend of mine at work showed me the story online, it made my day of being the "jerk" Dad who really does care---as in over my dead body.

Here's a quote from the article...“Why you gotta call me rude/for doing what a dad should do/and keep her from a fool like you?” and “If you marry her anyway/marry that girl/I’m gonna punch your face.” He also warns guys that they should “make more than burger and fries” and get out of their mom’s basement if they want to marry his daughter."

I have five daughters and one son. The son was easy and he made a really good choice; I assure you he's much more of a "good guy" than I ever was. But, for the remaining five, I really hope you do find the love of your life, just please make sure he has moved out of the basement. Because, it's likely, I'll be pretty rude.

The photo above is one I can only wish I would have taken. It is of an iconic shot of Muhammad Ali standing over Sonny Liston; this photo is probably one of the finest ever taken in the sport of boxing. Now, anyone reading this who knows me, will say this has nothing to do with the thought behind today's "Snap. Shot"---however, so far no young man has asked me a certain question.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment