Search This Blog

Saturday, April 9, 2011

Flag Waver.


For anyone who knows me, it's pretty obvious which sport is my favorite. For the last 13 or so years I have been in the minority as all of the other Chicago sports teams have fared better than the Chicago Bulls. Until now.

If you don't enjoy sports or reading about them, read on, this is not a blog you would find on the sports page.

In 1998, the Bulls won their last championship. The town was riding ridiculously high until in one big swoop, the team was dismantled---or should I say decimated as player after player either retired, went to play for a different team, or decided they were not interested in playing for a shell of what was just a few months earlier. There I sat with a team that had all new players it seemed, and a record of 17-65 for the season. They called it a "rebuilding year"....what it meant was, everyone left the building where the Bulls once ruled. I remained a fan. Why? Because I wanted to be there when they came back. It was a long road but all you have to look for now are the number of caps, shirts and jerseys fans are wearing these days.

For some crazy reason, sports can be addictive. It's not like most, or probably any of us, could ever step on the court and play with these men and women---do remember, when they were growing up, they were the best of the best in their town, school, and own world. Even if they are the worst on the team, they were the best growing up and are still really good to make the pros. Here we sit and live through their success...when they win, we are on their team, when they lose we distance ourselves from them. Kind of like life in many respects---who wants to be associated with a loser?

I wanted to be associated with the Chicago Bulls when they were riding high and lying low; I can say with complete honesty, I am happy I did---even though when I wore their team sweatshirt, no one would say, "Boy the Bulls are really playing well this year." In fact, most people had no idea who played for the Bulls. Each year, I had to re-learn the names of the players; from this point in time on, unless something really unfortunate happens, any one in Chicago, who follows the latest happenings in Chicago sports will know the names of the popular players---and there are many of them.

The Bulls are back, the fans are back, and the crazy ticket prices have followed as you knew they would; so here's my deal to you, the readers of "Snap. Shot," I will not be writing about the Bulls very often, but if I do, know I will not be bragging about their success because we all know, like anything in life, reality eventually strikes and we go back to re-building.  As a long time fan who has never stepped on the court, I just want to enjoy and hope you will remember how you felt when the "underdog became the top dog"...it's just a good feeling.

The photo above is of Benny the Bull. He is the Bulls official flag waver---for the 20,000+ fans who watch each game "live" these days, he has a lot of company. Welcome back, we have missed you.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment